Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio - performance of large mailboxes
  •  
tr

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I have a customer with Exchange 2003 SP2 and very large mailboxes. The mailstore is currently 56GB in size and increasing all the time. Exchange is running very slowly and locks up on a semi-regular basis.

We currently have another customer happily running Kerio 6.7.3 on CentOS 5 so thought that Kerio would be an alternative to Exchange as each e-mail is stored as a single file instead of in one large file.

Does anybody have experience of running with Kerio with large mailboxes - 20GB + and very high item counts in inbox and sent items - one user has 47,000 items and will not delete any as they are all apparently essential.

Thanks in advance.
  •  
bchatain

My boss have 58720 items for 13,3 GB. It's works ! You need a very fast raid in your server with most free space. I had to change and upgrade all the hard drive because of kerio very slow. Since the upgrade with new 15000 t/m hard drive, no problem exept Apple Mail which make very often long refresh of the mailbox.

Kerio 8.4 with windows 2008 server R2 /
80 mac clients / 10.6.x - 10.10.X
Apple Mail with exchange/imap account
Kerio 8.4.0 with OX 10.6.8 server
20 mac clients / 10.6.x - 10.10.X
  •  
loopy37

Have Kerio connect 7 running on a "old" Dual G5 Xserve in Mac OS X 10.4.11 Server.

Have 20 Users, and some of them have 15 GB of mail data each. About 15.000 emails in the largest accounts, end some emails up to 100 MB.

No performance problems visible.
Disk system is 3 x 80 GB in Raid 5 via dedicated RAID-Controller.
CPU is not so important, 1 Gbit Network should be enough.

•  
My IT Indy

Since Kerio stores each email as a flat file the only limitation is your store I/O.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
tr

Are you not constrained by the index.fld file as well. If you have very high item counts in each folder is this going to cause a problem with the index.fld becoming corrupt etc.
  •  
cappie

We have about 100GB of mail here with user mailboxes going up to 20GB with 30.000 items and more.. it still works like a charm; the only thing you want to avoid is folders with several thousand items in 'em, because that might slow your performance when using the Outlook connector... but apart from slowing down, it works great!

[Updated on: Mon, 02 August 2010 12:22]

•  
JonL

I have a user with about 46gig of mail and around 150k messages. Kerio is running great. He is however using a mac with entourage so i can't comment on what this would be like with KOC.
  •  
tr

Thanks everybody for your responses so far.

Could you all give me an indication of the spec of server (especially JonL) you are all running Kerio on and what clients you have eg. Outlook with KOC, Outlook with IMAP or Entourage with IMAP

My prospective customer runs Entourage with IMAP at present (and regularly have to rebuild their Entourage databases!).

Tr
  •  
cappie

We're running Kerio on a virtual machine with Windows 2008 Standard, 2GB of memory and 2GHz of processing power (currently set to single core). We're using a cheap RAID10 setup with SATA disks on a decent hardware controller.

We're currently serving 40 users (with mailboxes up to 20gb with >30k items), but I can easily see that virtual machine serving 160 without changing the hardware configuration.. I wouldn't know what it could do on the full 32gb and 2 Quad Cores Smile

All I can say is optimize your file indexes and keep the Kerio datastore on a separate partition (which you defragment at least once a month)... it's all about file I/O since you're dealing with tons of small files.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 August 2010 23:00]

•  
id t

I have 160 users, the top user is at 111867 emails for 13 GB. Total size of store is >800 GB for about 3 milions files. Running on Xserve 8-core, 12GB of RAM and the store is on a RAID5, 4-LUN (round-robin), 20TB XSan 2.2 volume off a Promise vTrak (7200rpm SATA). It's sluggish, and the plan is to buy a dedicated RAID10, SAS 15k rpm disk subsystem over FibreChannel.

Based on the forum's experience, definitely invest less in CPU/MHz and a lot more in disks (more spindles, RAID10, SAS/15k). Avoid XSan if you're on a mac!
  •  
cappie

Yeah, thats true.. the performance used to be sluggish on a shared system with several (10+) virtual machines on RAID1 setups (2x1TB) but now that we've added an extra server to balance the VM's, it works like a charm, the server is idle'ing more than 80% of the time now Smile
  •  
Quentinb

Hi All,

I am also running KMS (6.73 Patch 1) or somewhere arround there (No 7 yet) with about 70 users and about 70G of mail. The server (Dell R710) runs less than 2% with 8G RAM and 15K SAS drives in RAID5. Win2008 R2 as a AD controller, in Hyper-V. The host OS is also 2008 R2.

I use KOC and find that almost every single user is complaining about speed. If I switch to KC instead of KOC, the desktop speed improves alot.

Would running IMAP replace using KOC?? Which config is better?? I do not want the users to have to "Send/Receive" all day, we switched from Exchange and have to keep the "exchange" delivery feature.
  •  
cappie

What hardware are the users running? 3 year old laptops with Windows Vista?
  •  
Quentinb

Mostly Dell optiplex 360/380. The new ones are fine as they run a core 2 duo and 2G Ram. The older ones are the trouble ones, but they ran fine on exchange (SBS2003) until we moved them onto Server 2008 R2 (Std) and KMS.

Oh, and Vista with Office 2007. If we keep Outlook closed the performance is much better.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2010 08:08]

cappie

in that case, upgrade to the latest version and be sure to configure your virus scanner(s) to exclude the folder where the offline store is located

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2010 10:15]

Previous Topic: WIndows 2008 R2 Standaard - Connect
Next Topic: Can't find Archiving menu in O2k7
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 17:18:48 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00547 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.