Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Move from Mac Pro G5 to Mac Mini Server (Got any tips or advice for the move to a Mac Mini Server?)
  •  
Will Mayall

Send a private message to this user
Does anyone have experience with Kerio Connect on the new Mac Mini Server?

Current configuration:

- KC 7.0.2p1
- 30 active accounts
- 4GB
- Mac Pro Quad G5
- OS X Server 5
- 5200 rpm drives
- Mirrored HD

It's been running for years with little trouble but has started to have hardware issues. I'm most comfortable with Mac. I'm not interested in being convinced to run it on other hardware/OS.

I'm planning to move Kerio Connect to:

- Mac Mini Server
- 4GB
- OS X Server 6
- 7200 rpm drives
- Mirrored HD

Advice? Warnings?

Thanks,

Will Mayall
  •  
j.a.duke

mayall wrote on Sun, 01 August 2010 12:33
Does anyone have experience with Kerio Connect on the new Mac Mini Server?

Current configuration:

- KC 7.0.2p1
- 30 active accounts
- 4GB
- Mac Pro Quad G5
- OS X Server 5
- 5200 rpm drives
- Mirrored HD

It's been running for years with little trouble but has started to have hardware issues. I'm most comfortable with Mac. I'm not interested in being convinced to run it on other hardware/OS.

I'm planning to move Kerio Connect to:

- Mac Mini Server
- 4GB
- OS X Server 6
- 7200 rpm drives
- Mirrored HD

Advice? Warnings?

Thanks,

Will Mayall

Will,

You don't note how much mail you have on the current system, but, it goes without saying, make sure it fits on the new server. Is the new server only for mail? Or will it host other services as well?

I've been impressed by the previous and current Mini servers and, while I'm not running Kerio on either, I have them available as a warm spare (mail store duplicated at midnight & noon) just in case the primary hardware dies.

You can probably more the store directory, license file (license.key?) and mailserver.cfg file over, edit the cfg appropriately (using TextWrangler or BBEdit), and go.

I'm working toward updating my current personal G4-based server to a G5 server, but have done other migrations in the not so distant past.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
Will Mayall

j.a.duke wrote on Mon, 02 August 2010 12:05
You don't note how much mail you have on the current system, but, it goes without saying, make sure it fits on the new server. Is the new server only for mail? Or will it host other services as well?

The server will be primarily used for email and also host a few very low volume sites. There's probably about 30GB of mail messages. Most users are casual but a few have large volumes. There are about 10 users of ActiveSync.

Will Mayall
  •  
GlennK

You'll be fine. Don't go crazy with the number of email accounts and you'll be good to go. Don't start adding everything Apple service under the sun. The mini can only do so much.
  •  
p0ddie

Should be fine as long as you don't go crazy with the mail accounts, and specifically their contents. You will run into performance issues if your 50 users all have a 8GB mailbox with 50.000 files and regularly copy 1000s of mails from a to b. If you set a nice quota for your 30 users and they don't have too many mails you should be fine. If all goes too slow you can still add an external firewire 800 box with 4 drives configured as raid 10 and have a zippy mailstore.
  •  
Will Mayall

I did the upgrade to the Mac Mini about a month ago after the G5 server failed. Everything seems to be running very well.

The move from Mac OS X Server 10.5 to 10.6 was particularly easy. This is true even though I had to use one of the original mirrored drives in an external enclosure.

I have noticed no issues running on the Mac Mini. If anything, it seems to be run smoother and use less memory.

Will Mayall
  •  
thejoecarroll

Glad to see this went well for you. I'm about to deploy Kerio on a Mac Mini Server and was wondering if you are using OpenDirectory integration to manage user accounts and, if so, would you mind commenting on how that has worked out?
  •  
Will Mayall

No, I don't use OpenDirectory.

In general, the server has been running very well.

Will Mayall
  •  
DXB Law

I just migrated Kerio from an older Xserve to a new Mac Mini Server. I backed up the mail store to a firewire hard drive and used the Kerio Connect Recover tool to restore the data onto the Mini. I did the process last week over a weekend night and it was simple, easy and painless.

Previous Topic: Users Shared Calendar not viewable in iCal but viewable in webmail??
Next Topic: New User
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 16:47:09 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00696 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.