Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Standalone Administration Console Discontinued (Admin Default columns)
  •  
dexterb

Send a private message to this user
The web-based administration console is fairly decent for Kerio server administration, but it is webby, unlike the standalone administration console.

One big quirk of web-based admin is that the column headings in the User administration always default back to "Username, Fullname, Description, Groups" once I close the browser. The "Storage Usage and Item Count" headings are invaluable for administering a small 60-user base. Yes I can add them manually each time I go to adminster, but it would be nice if they stayed.

This wasn't an issue before Kerio 7.1.0 since I always used the standalone console and column heading changes stayed once the changes were made, but Kerio 7.1.0 discontinued support via that console.

Does anyone know how to make column headings permanent?
  •  
j.a.duke

dexterb wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 14:08
The web-based administration console is fairly decent for Kerio server administration, but it is webby, unlike the standalone administration console.

One big quirk of web-based admin is that the column headings in the User administration always default back to "Username, Fullname, Description, Groups" once I close the browser. The "Storage Usage and Item Count" headings are invaluable for administering a small 60-user base. Yes I can add them manually each time I go to adminster, but it would be nice if they stayed.

This wasn't an issue before Kerio 7.1.0 since I always used the standalone console and column heading changes stayed once the changes were made, but Kerio 7.1.0 discontinued support via that console.

Does anyone know how to make column headings permanent?

You could just download the standalone admin-it's available from the archive download page. Just select Connect 7.1 and you'll see the standalone admin.

I agree with you regarding the web admin-it hasn't replaced the standalone app for me, yet.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
hbianchi

I endorse the idea that the Web Administration Console is not as "operative" as the Stand alone one. The presentation of long lists "in pages" make us to do a lot of extra work when looking for somehting, when deleting queued messages, and so on. Not having a "memory" to keep user configuration (columnas, order, etc.) is a real mess and a step back fro productivity.

Why Kerio says that Standalone Console is no longer supported, and then it is still available in "old Versions" repository (as Duke said)???? Has this module all the functionality as Web version????
  •  
dexterb

Ah, thanks Jon. The standalone admin is available. Silly me to trust the release notes for 7.1 stating that the standalone admin tool was discontinued...

Still, you gotta figure it will be discontinued eventually. The web version has less functionality than the standalone version, if that's what you're asking. How much less I am unsure without a direct comparison, but a few things excluded from the web version are: persistent column headings, pie chart in Statistics. I couldn't find anything the web version added that the standalone version doesn't already have.

So to my original question - Does anyone know how to make column heading changes persistent in the web version?
  •  
j.a.duke

I just discovered a new step backwards today in the web console.

Often when adding a rule to block (or allow) specific email addresses or IPs, I'll copy that address from one of the log files.

You can't highlight individual characters in the web console, only an entire line! So now I've got an extra step to paste the text into another app, then copy what I need from the line and paste it back into the web admin.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

j.a.duke wrote on Thu, 12 August 2010 16:51

You can't highlight individual characters in the web console, only an entire line! So now I've got an extra step to paste the text into another app, then copy what I need from the line and paste it back into the web admin.

What version of Kerio Connect is that? Text selection in logs is working in 7.1.0 web administration. Web Administration in Connect 7.1.0 is much more improved than in 7.0.x versions.
  •  
j.a.duke

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Fri, 13 August 2010 04:23
j.a.duke wrote on Thu, 12 August 2010 16:51

What version of Kerio Connect is that? Text selection in logs is working in 7.1.0 web administration. Web Administration in Connect 7.1.0 is much more improved than in 7.0.x versions.

That's with 7.0.2; I've not gone to 7.1 yet.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
Anonymous
I'll try to answer your questions concerning administration.

1. Why Kerio says that Standalone Console is no longer supported, and then it is still available in "old versions"?

Initially we decided to provide old console only for support team and customers with specific issues that are not able to cover with web administration.
Then, we changed the decision to make transition from concole to web smooth.

2. Has this module all the functionality as Web version?
No. The development of console was stopped after 6.7.X release. In 7.0.X there were some patches but certain features like distributed domains are in web administration only.

3. Does anyone know how to make column heading changes persistent in the web version?
It is not possible, now. It should be possible in a future version.
  •  
dexterb

Thanks DJuhas,
Hopefully future versions of the web admin tool will include all those currently available in the standalone tool (those mentioned in these posts).
  •  
marook

Add to this, that Distribution list administration is close to non-useful in the web-admin!

- It's slow - working with 5000+ members is a Pain!
- Why can't Kerio show the number of members to a list??? For the marketing department, it's essential to know this number! The official workaround is to open the 'members' file for the list and COUNT the lines.. seriously?

Same goes for other parts of the interface - no item counts anywhere, even though the lists must be in an array in JavaScript so it's a one-liner to count the items!

While Kerio is very easy to handle for the most part, there sure is some 'rough' edges.. :-/

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
Anonymous
marook wrote on Tue, 24 August 2010 14:23
- Why can't Kerio show the number of members to a list??? For the marketing department, it's essential to know this number!

We are trying to keep the application simple.
Could you tell us why it is essential for your marketing department?
If there is a reasonable use case we can consider to add the count.
  •  
marook

Ha, ha, ha... Are you SERIOUS????

It's the same as 'why is it important to show how many user accounts are in use?' Why would Anyone need that???
So, in Kerio world, 'simple' = Use the Terminal and a grep command to count the lines in a text file.. Come on.. I though this was an Exchange competitor!

A small hint: Everything in Marketing is about how many people get's the message!
On a side note, it's also Very important to the Admin to know if a given list sends out to 10 or 10.000 people.. don't you think?
And yes, we do have maillists that send to ~15K people...

But since 'simple' also equals to show 'User email<_at_>company.com' and not the User Name in CalDAV clients, I'm not surpriced...

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
marook

PS: Maybe it's simply time to admit the Listserver is not a focus area, and simply remove it!
No bounce indications, not simply member count, no date/time of list message send to the list... it's impressive that you spend time to tweek the JavaScript to load the Members in 7.0+, as that is now close to useful... :-/

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
Anonymous
If you don't tell us an use case, I can't help you.

If you provide an use case we can consider
- how often it can happen
- if there is an workaround
- how precise it should be (about 15K or 15324)
- if there should be a cache and how often it should be refreshed
marook

Kerio_djuhas wrote on Thu, 26 August 2010 16:27
If you don't tell us an use case, I can't help you.

Well, you didn't ask for it! You asked "Could you tell us why it is essential for your marketing department?" and I answered "Everything in Marketing is about how many people get's the message!"

BUT:

How Often:
Every time marketing like to get the number: 1-4 pr. month. + everytime an admin needs to check up on a lists status.

Workaound:
I just gave it to you, and it requires Admin/root access to the 'mailserver' store on the server, via SSH or direct access! So, it's NOT a workaround!

How precise:
The actual number! I can do pretty numbers myself!

Cache:
??? Does not seem like you cache the member list, but it's pretty easy to update a cache every time you add/delete members, so I can live with that.

With that said, I simply don't see the point in 'trying to keep it simple'! It's a blody ADMIN console for cying out loud! It's understandable that you like to keep it Good Looking, and easy to manage, but right now, your 'keep it simple' strategy seem more like 'keep features away from the Admin' and not 'keep it nice looking'.

To be honest, I find it scary that such a simply thing is such a huge issue for the Admin Console! And yet Kerio displays useless email addresses as the name of users and not their actual names.. PLEASE try to match those things to ANY logic! Crying or Very Sad

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
Previous Topic: sync kerio with outlook
Next Topic: Virtualization / Kerio+BB+Xenserver+Xendesktop
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 15:17:35 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00551 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.