Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect References (Looking for real-life Kerio Connect users/admins)
  •  
lydigconstruction

Send a private message to this user
My company is considering making the switch from MS Exchange 2K to Kerio Connect, but would like some feedback (positive or negative) from actual users/admins who are currently using the product.

Our configuration will be two geographically separated offices each hosting a mail server on the same domain. Each server will host roughly 90 mailboxes. End users will be running MS Outlook with Kerio Connector. Ideally each server will need to have some type of hot-standby/high-availability server in case of hardware failure.

Is anyone here running a similar setup, and if so what have been the positives and negatives?

Thanks,
Andrew

•  
philippp

I only have experiences in small business environments, with just one server machine. There, Kerio Connect has proved very reliable and stable, and easy to handle - I would always prefer it over exchange.
Still, I dont have anything like your scenario -"distributed domains" is a new feature since 7.0 I think.

Philipp

IT services for small companies
  •  
lydigconstruction

Thanks for the reply.
What type of server are you running (Win, Mac, Linux) and how many mailboxes are being hosted? What's the approx. size of the mailstore?
How about the end users, what client are they using? Any complaints from their end?

Thanks,
Andrew
  •  
philippp

I have three sites all running Kerio Connect. Each has about 5 to 20 mailboxes and a few gigabytes of mail storage. (Depends on whether you use the archive feature.)
These installations are running on windows - you dont even need an extra machine for kerio (if you are non-paranoid about security).
One site is using Thunderbird 3.1 on Windows, the other Outlook (via Kerio outlook Connector KOFF), and the third is just switching from Outlook Express to Outlook.
Some years ago, performance has been an issue at one site (because the mail server was acting on the same slow disk array as the file server), but that has gone - I added extra disks to the server. Now, the kerio outlook connector ("KOFF") has automatic offline caching, so it responds quickly even if the server is slow.
Thunderbird is a bit tricky (when it comes to localized folder names), but we all know its most flexible if you want to do special things.

I very much like KERIOs integrated spam filter - you can adjust it as you need, and it works much better than those commercial spamfilter-appliances (those stupid boxes seem to produce a LOT of false-positives in order to boost their detection rate). In Kerio Connect, I just use the spam rating of the firewall-box as one additional source for my spam rating in kerio connect.

There is only one small thing that you should be aware of: In case you use the outlook connector, it is not possible to send an email with the identity of another user (Kerio says this is a limitation of Outlook). At least with Outlook 2003 - I dont know about 2010, which seems to be more flexible with account config. It does work with IMAP or webmail - which almost feels like outlook anyway (its just easier Wink . Webmail is great and really nice -- I think my users like it.

Imo, KC does perfectly what a small company needs. And I did not have any kerio-related downtime in the last few years (there were only ca. 5 messages getting stuck due to some smtp-encryption misunderstandings between smtp servers). Its also good to know that you can move kerio to a different machine without hassle.

IT services for small companies
Previous Topic: BESX all on one machine - LDAP settings??
Next Topic: IMAP custom flags support
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 16:04:06 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00363 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.