Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Old Outlook emails missing
  •  
HunterBoss

Send a private message to this user
Mad

I went through over the weekend and installed the Kerio offline connection. I let it install automatically. I thought I carefully read through all the instructions. I missed something or it isn't there.

We were using a POP email server before. So all the outlook.pst files are located locally on the users' desktops. When we first implemented Kerio a few months ago we didn't have the shared calendars, contacts, public folders working. (As I've said in other posts.) I was trying to implement that functionality this past weekend.

Well, we got some of that going. At the risk of temporarily taking that away, how do I get the old emails back?

thanks

Signed
Desperate in Palatine

Christopher Tipper
  •  
SoopahSteve

Hi Christopher, do you mean after installing the outlook connector it wiped all your email? Your email should still be there, they're just in the original PST file. Even if it was just an archive it should still be there. Try the following:

# In Outlook 2010, click the File tab, and then from the Account Settings drop-down menu, choose Account Settings... .

In earlier versions, from the Tools menu, select Account Settings... (2007) or E-mail Accounts... (2003).
# Select the Data Files tab, and then click Add. In Outlook 2003, Select View or change existing email accounts, click Next, and then click New Outlook Data file... .

You can do a search on your computer using the *.pst to pull any pst files you've created on your hard disk. They're usually stored in the user's profile folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

or if you have vista and windows 7:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

I had this happen to a customer the other day, but I just re-added the OLD PST files, copied the emails they needed then removed the PST.

Hope this helps.

-Steve
  •  
TorW

HunterBoss wrote on Mon, 23 August 2010 16:27
I thought I carefully read through all the instructions. I missed something or it isn't there.

You mean it's not available when you set up a new mail server connection manually from within Outlook, or simply missing from the Program Files folder?

HunterBoss wrote on Mon, 23 August 2010 16:27
Well, we got some of that going. At the risk of temporarily taking that away, how do I get the old emails back?

Back from where? If they're in PST files, just attache the PSTs to Outlook and they should be visible. If you manage to set up a KOFF connection to the server, you can import mail from PST files into the Kerio mail store with Outlook's import/export functionality.

Unless I misunderstood the whole thing. It's been known to happen Wink
  •  
HunterBoss

Steve

I think you nailed it on the head. I'm going to try what you wrote. That will get them "back."

Then it looks like I'm going to follow TorW's suggestion.

Thanks

Christopher

Christopher Tipper
  •  
HunterBoss

TorW wrote on Mon, 23 August 2010 17:16
Back from where? If they're in PST files, just attache the PSTs to Outlook and they should be visible. If you manage to set up a KOFF connection to the server, you can import mail from PST files into the Kerio mail store with Outlook's import/export functionality.

Unless I misunderstood the whole thing. It's been known to happen Wink

TorW, thanks.

After reading your reply a couple of times, I think I understand now. At the user's desktop, log on to their Kerio account on line. Then import their .pst files from there. Is that right?

Going to go give it a try now.

New question. Does this effect Outlook's 2GB limit in any way?

Christopher

Christopher Tipper
  •  
HunterBoss

Steve -- thanks. That did the trick. They're all "back."

TorW -- thanks, but I give. I looked everywhere I could think of. How do you import emails? It's not in the user's guide that I can see. All 412 pages of it.

Christopher Tipper
  •  
SoopahSteve

HunterBoss wrote on Tue, 24 August 2010 02:18
Steve -- thanks. That did the trick. They're all "back."

TorW -- thanks, but I give. I looked everywhere I could think of. How do you import emails? It's not in the user's guide that I can see. All 412 pages of it.

Awesome, glad that worked for you. No problem!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

HunterBoss wrote on Tue, 24 August 2010 02:18

Our User's guide covers only Kerio-specific settings and topics. For general Outlook help read the Outlook manual or contact the vendor - Microsoft.
  •  
HunterBoss

You're kidding, right? You do know that Microsoft told its users on its website that to downgrade from Vista to XP they need to contact the hardware vendor? Do you really think they're going to say something about Kerio in their Outlook instructions?

Based on the replies I've received I'm not the only one who had this happen. And what causes it? Running Kerio's auto configuration program. Sounds like it's a Kerio specific topic to me. You're telling me that you can't put a note on the Outlook auto configuration section that tells users generally how to point to the additional Outlook data?

And what about importing outlook.pst files into Kerio? Where do I find that guidance?

Christopher Tipper
  •  
TorW

If you have Outlook 2003 or 2007, the Export/Import function is available on the File menu. You have to choose "Import from a file" (or somesuch) first, then "From a file with personal folders (pst)". After that, select the PST file you want to import from. Outlook 2007 does not have a 2 GB limit on PST files, but keep in mind that you could exceed the user's quota in Kerio Connect when you do this. Set the user to unlimited quota before you begin and adjust afterwards.

The import process is also described here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

If you can't find the function or can't get it to work, you can also move the contents of the PST files to the mail store manually (mark all, right click, transfer to folder). The latter requires that you connect the PST file as a message store to Outlook first.
Previous Topic: SuSE 10.1 and Kerio Connect 7.1
Next Topic: Connection Lost error on 7.1.0
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 23:54:37 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00488 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.