Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Footer - questions
  •  
mku

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

we need to find a way to manage our email signatures/footers centrally.

a) Is it possible to use something like a placeholder for e.g. the users name or telephone number (from the ldap)? That would be very neat.

b) Can we use HTML and images?

Thanks, Markus
  •  
winkelman

a) No
b) HTML: yes, Images: No (unless linked to images)
But without a central way of handling the signatures, going the HTML route might be problematic... May become to complicated for users, they will mess up their signatures when trying to change something, is my guess.
  •  
zebby

We manage footers by using the signature in Outlook.
We have W2k3 AD, XP and a mix of Outlook 2003/2007 and have a VB script that runs each time a user logs on and this inserts a signature in Outlook to set the name, job title, phone etc... plus add a linked image from the web to keep our marketing people happy bunnies.

Data is pulled from an Access database so adding, deleting or changing any of the details is done here, including changing the ad image and link.

This works OK for us as we only have around 100 users. Obviously this may not be a solution for you if you have thousands or don't run a Windows environment.

We then just use the footer in Kerio for the stuff that never changes, company info, legal disclaimer etc...

I can let you have a copy of the script and DB if you want to give it a go.
  •  
Valenzi

zebby wrote on Thu, 02 September 2010 11:13
We manage footers by using the signature in Outlook.
We have W2k3 AD, XP and a mix of Outlook 2003/2007 and have a VB script that runs each time a user logs on and this inserts a signature in Outlook to set the name, job title, phone etc... plus add a linked image from the web to keep our marketing people happy bunnies.

Data is pulled from an Access database so adding, deleting or changing any of the details is done here, including changing the ad image and link.

This works OK for us as we only have around 100 users. Obviously this may not be a solution for you if you have thousands or don't run a Windows environment.

We then just use the footer in Kerio for the stuff that never changes, company info, legal disclaimer etc...

I can let you have a copy of the script and DB if you want to give it a go.

Hey, your Script sounds interesting for me, would you please send it to me?
  •  
heze54

HI,

Could you post this vb script to test?

I run a AD enviroment.

regards
  •  
zebby

Everything you need in in the zip, the txt file tells you which bits you need to alter.

•  
atomitech

There is another way to manage the user footer centrally AND with HTML formatting and images etc......

This windows service uses the syslog feature of Kerio to ensure footers are managed centrally according to a centrally installed (at the kerio connect server) template file. Works with win.32 bit currently. You can download it here:
www.atomitech.hu/connect/extras/default.aspx?lang=en

Easy admin!... send an email from any device via your Kerio email account and the footer will be added. No need to manage the footers at multiple devices anymore!

Caveats / Notes:
a. Not endorsed by Kerio.
b. Has been running with 3x 200-300 user installs for over 6 months, so tested well at that size user base.
c. The bottleneck will be if your server tries to send a large number of emails simultaneously... Stress tested with sending 100 simultaneous emails on 10 threads, and that is fine. Stress tested on 1000 emails, and it did not add the footer to only 2 of them. The messages all delivered ok of course, and I suspect only big mailing list operations would try to send 100's of emails at exactly the same millisecond!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I suppose the service modifies files in the message queue directory. This is not recommended and it can cause service instability, data corruption or data loss.
  •  
atomitech

Hi Pavel, yes you are right that the message queue is modified. It seems to be the only way to achieve this until a more comprehensive message queue API becomes available.

Everyone can have their own experience, so I understand your blanket recommendation against anything non-Kerio. I repeat that this is not a Kerio idea or solution.

However, we have been running this intensively for 6+ months without any stability issues at 3 customers, and also been making some insanely worse case scenario tests on our own server too. It is a testament to Kerio Connect's quality coding that the message queue is so robust and handles a whole variety of test conditions perfectly.

So if this solution can help someone in the time until Kerio might include such a feature in Connect, then great. But obviously without the blessing of Kerio!
  •  
mirapodo

Hi atomitech,

your solution sounds really great!
I would appreciate it if I can take a closer look to your solution.
Unfortunately your link is redirecting to your home page...
Can you please provide me a working link?
  •  
Valenzi

Footer is already possible with Kerio Connect itself Wink
  •  
atomitech

Hi mirapodo / All !

We decided not to continue development of this product. It is not a product Kerio is interested in, so it is not possible for us to provide resources to work around changes made at each Connect release. However, if in the future Kerio decide to improve their API to include message queue interface/event hooks, then in the future this concept might well be able to rise from the ashes! The Connect API seems to be the direction Kerio are heading nowadays, so fingers crossed!
  •  
mirapodo

Yes - but not individualised with name, mail adress, phone number, etc.
Perhaps I can implement this with atomitechs tool...
  •  
zebby

We're still using the VB script/MDB combo to achieve this and can confirm that it also works OK with Office 2010.
You do need to change the way you call it at user logon for Windows 7 64bit but that's about it!
Previous Topic: Kerio Outlook Connector Error - Failed_Conversions
Next Topic: Invalid password for user
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 08:27:15 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00520 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.