Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » The correct way to setup Kerio Connect for phones? (Needing to setup Mobil phone access)
  •  
SoopahSteve

Send a private message to this user
Hello all, I've been searching the forums for information that might help but I'm not having any success so I thought I would post. Thanks in advance!

I have just installed Kerio Connect 7.1 on a small network, outlook and web based mail works perfectly. I am running into problems with trying to get their phones to sync with the server. Is there a special way to setup Kerio Connect for POP? I have the standard ports for POP and IMAP open on the firewall but when setting up a new pop account on an iphone it'll just hang at "verifying" and then will eventually time out. Does this on both IMAP and POP (secure and standard).

Setting up an exchange account on an iphone doesn't work either. Am I missing something? Is this not a recommended procedure? Is it better to install a 3rd party app for phone sync as opposed to accessing Kerio via pop? What inbound ports need to be open for Kerio to function correctly with phones without having the risk of open relay?

-Steve
  •  
TorW

Silly question: have you enabled the POP3 and IMAP services in Kerio?
Firewall ports 110 and 143 must be open for IMAP and POP3 to work. For secure POP3 and secure IMAP, ports 993 and 995 must be open.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

As well as SMTP or SMTP submission (25, 587). iPhone does the check when configuring the account. For "Exchange" account you need HTTPS or HTTP.
  •  
marook

PLEASE don't tell me you use POP on a mobile phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMAP, or ActiveSync is the ONLY way to go!!

POP should be DISABLED unless you have some low-end services that Needs to access a mailbox for automation or something like that..

Actually, I think Kerio should Disable POP by default!

[Updated on: Wed, 25 August 2010 13:48]

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
SoopahSteve

LOL so you're saying that's a bad idea? No we don't use it, it's just what they've been using in the past with their ISP to check their email. I was just wondering what the correct procedure was to syncing phones.
Any instructions on getting active sync working? I show the services and ports to be running on Kerio Connect, plus the standard and secure ports Kerio uses are open on the firewall but yet when setting up IMAP or even using active sync it never authenticates.

Thanks
  •  
SoopahSteve

TorW wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 11:32
Silly question: have you enabled the POP3 and IMAP services in Kerio?
Firewall ports 110 and 143 must be open for IMAP and POP3 to work. For secure POP3 and secure IMAP, ports 993 and 995 must be open.

Yeah I show the services running on Kerio plus the ports it uses open on the firewall. What I am looking for is detailed instructions on how to set it up. I am missing something somewhere and just need something to reference to find out what that is exactly. Maybe it's a setting I'm not seeing on the kerio connect server? DNS? Who knows... A lot of the information I've been getting is what Kerio can do or instructions that just say "install this, install that and then it should work" but in the end it doesn't. Any step by step information on setting up active sync?
Many thanks!
-Steve
  •  
marook

Hi Steve,

1: POP is not Sync, and if you is not careful, the client simply delete the message on the server = mail GONE for the user!

2: ActiveSync is simply a HTTP(S) protocol, and on most phones you simply enter the hostname + username/pass. iPhones is DeadSimple™, and some other phones are too. Make sure you use the same hostname internally & externally(like mail.company.com), if your users move from inside the complay to the 'road'.

3: Same as #2 for IMAP/SMTP.

4: The page: https://www.yourmailserver.com/integration is your friend!

Let me know if there is other questions..

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
SoopahSteve

marook wrote on Wed, 25 August 2010 17:00
Hi Steve,

1: POP is not Sync, and if you is not careful, the client simply delete the message on the server = mail GONE for the user!

2: ActiveSync is simply a HTTP(S) protocol, and on most phones you simply enter the hostname + username/pass. iPhones is DeadSimple™, and some other phones are too. Make sure you use the same hostname internally & externally(like mail.company.com), if your users move from inside the complay to the 'road'.

3: Same as #2 for IMAP/SMTP.

4: The page: https://www.yourmailserver.com/integration is your friend!

Let me know if there is other questions..

OK thanks man, I appreciate that tip! I'll stay away from that option. I did get the iphones to use activesync for some strange reason when setting up the accounts it asked for the domain name and this is what was messing it up, I just left it blank and the phones started working.
Some users have blackberry phones but I need to install a 3rd party app for the blackberry phones to use active sync correct?
Many thanks!
  •  
marook

I don't use BB's, so someone else needs to chime in here...

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
Previous Topic: dns lookup failed
Next Topic: Kerio Connect and Office 2011 for Mac
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 11:28:59 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00496 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.