Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Apple Mail Exchange users not getting pushed (Apple Mail people not IDLEing?)
  •  
BLTomato

Send a private message to this user
We are now running Connect 7.1 on a brand new Xserve with a 10k SAS Drive RAID for the Store. The Migration went smoothly from our old xserve, thanks for answering my questions.

Before the switch a few of our users with exchange accounts using Apple Mail would all the sudden just stop getting mail. They could press the Get Mail button and nothing would happen, even though they had mail on the server (you could log into webmail and see it or on their mobile device it only seems to affect Mail). Restarting the Apple Mail client fixes the issue every time, but might happen a couple times a day for these users and they don't notice it until it's been a while with no mail.

We hoped the new hardware would solve the issue but it hasn't. Doing some research I found a couple other people complaining about the same thing on non-kerio systems so I'm just trying to take a survey to see if anyone else has seen this issue or has suggestions.

The Accounts are always Exchange, with a mix of Leopard and Snow Leopard people. The accounts are set to IDLE and Check for messages is set to manual, but it doesn't matter if it's set to check occasionally when the bug hits it just stops getting mail.
  •  
phil_w

I have exactly the same thing with Apple Mail - some will randomly just not get anything until Mail is restarted. Users complain that their iPhones have received mail that has not arrived on their desktops. I'm not sure its not related to size/age of Mail database? - it seems that Mail just gets 'choked up' sometimes?
  •  
TorW

For what it's worth: in my experience, ActiveSync picks up mail faster than both Apple Mail and Outlook (2003/2007). The difference is within 30 seconds in our setup, so I've filed it under "user nitpicking".

Have you selected the "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" in the Apple Mail accounts?
  •  
marketconnections

My boss has this problem with Apple Mail (under 10.6). He says sometimes Mail just doesn't recieve any new mail for a while and then he gets a bunch of messages at once. He has a blackberry (synced to Kerio via BIS IMAP) that gets dings as soon as he gets mail, but it isn't in his Mail mailbox yet.
  •  
BLTomato

So it looks like several people have this problem. Anyone with this problem actually fix it with a repeatable fix? It's intermittent and we haven't nailed down anything that is a known "You do this thing and it fixes it" solution.

TorW: It's not that they are mad because mail gets to their phones faster than their desktop, we are talking about Mail just NOT getting mail for hours and only a relaunch of Mail fixes it. Yes the IDLE command checkbox is selected.
  •  
marketconnections

TorW: I do have all my users on "IDLE". And it isn't a 30 second delay. It's more like minutes, sometimes 20 or more.

It is an intermittent problem, but it only seems to happen with a few accounts.

My Boss' account is setup here at the office, and also at his house. Both locations with iMacs, running 10.6.4 and Apple Mail configured identically.

I haven't seen this problem myself, despite same OS/Mail.app settings. Only one other person on the network reported this.

The last time my boss reported he'd recieved several messages on his BB, but none had made their way to his Apple Mail inbox, I logged into his webmail account. As soon as I did that, his Apple Mail received all the clogged messages instantly, as if logging into webmail triggered Kerio to wakeup the account.

Tech Support suggested I rebuild the index.fld in his Mailbox, which I did a couple of days ago, and so far this seems to have worked.
  •  
BLTomato

marketconnections wrote on Mon, 30 August 2010 22:31

The last time my boss reported he'd recieved several messages on his BB, but none had made their way to his Apple Mail inbox, I logged into his webmail account. As soon as I did that, his Apple Mail received all the clogged messages instantly, as if logging into webmail triggered Kerio to wakeup the account.

Tech Support suggested I rebuild the index.fld in his Mailbox, which I did a couple of days ago, and so far this seems to have worked.

That actually happened to one of the people with that problem, as soon as I logged into their webmail to check out their account their mail came flooding into the client. I thought it was just a coincidence. I'll try a re-index tomorrow, thanks.
  •  
suppertrupper

hire the same behaviour, and this already for a long time. (since kerio mailserver 6.7x)
We tried to re-inex the affected user-inboxes (index.bad by stopped server, user was logged out... )

the option IDLE in apple mail is set !

all of the affectet user have quit a lot mail on theres account
like 8GB for 10'000 objects

by the way; is there a good way for a archiving tool which allows a fast access too the stored mails ?

kerio connect 7.1.1 on mac osx 10.5.8
user mac osx 10.5/ 10.6

any idea - news

thanks
Previous Topic: Web Client Recurring Event Rescheduling
Next Topic: DRBD with Kerio Connect on linux
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:58:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00491 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.