Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Calendar sharing - question
  •  
dreniarb

Send a private message to this user
I'm posing this question to anyone who's running Kerio with more than a few dozen people.

In looking at the sharing features here - in order to see a shared calendar in outlook each user has to go to their account settings, then to the other mailboxes tab, and then add the particular user to the list.

I suppose this in and of itself isn't unbearable but I was wondering if there was a way to do this easily for a large group of people? Maybe to push out the settings via a script? Or am I stuck in having to print instructions with screenshots to send to everyone or go to each individual pc myself (there will be people who won't be able to do it even with screenshots) to get these settings in place?

I think I know the answer to my next question, just kind of wanting a confirmation. After adding people to that list, they now show up in your outlook as a mailbox right? So if I have 100 people added I now have 101 mailboxes listed in outlook? That just seems crazy to me. Confused

Is there no other way to see a shared calendar? I'm just curious how other admins with a large user base handle this and what their users think about it.

Thanks so much!
  •  
ribeyejonson

I too would like to know if this is possible, particularly in a mobile device applications when multiple users need to access one calendar on a BB devices.
  •  
bverre

I am also looking for some guidance on the original poster's query ... anyone with experience doing this or that has some good advice would be doing us all a great service! Wink
  •  
altivec

It would be a nice feature when a user share a calendar or folder that it push it self to the user or group he granted the access to it.

Right now user have to grant the access
Then the other user have to add it manually

It kind a ruin the feature of it.

KMS1 6.7.2: Xserve 10.5.8 - 150 users
KMS2 6.7.2: Xserve 10.5.8 - 50 users
KMS3 6.7.2: Xserve 10.5.8 - 10 users/MX BackUp
KMS4 Beta: Xserve 10.5.8 - MX BackUp2
iPhone/WindowsMobile/Blackberry/Nokia

KWF Beta: HP DL380 on ESXi 4.0 - 60 users
  •  
dreniarb

I suppose that would be an ok solution.. although i can easily picture a user screaming "i don't WANT to see his calendar!" when someone grants "Everyone" or a group of people access to their calendar.

The way exchange does it is what i would prefer. Each user shares their calendar if they like, and if someone else wants to see the calendar they click "open a shared calendar", type in the persons name, and there it is. that's pretty much what kerio does now, except you have to go through those extra steps to add the person to your account settings.

oh... and with exchange you don't have extra mailboxes in your folder list for every shared resource you have access to. just thought i'd throw that in again. Smile
  •  
p0ddie

and additionally, with Exchange you have... 5x the cost and a floppy database that breaks every once in a while... Laughing

Anyway, there is no other way than manually subscribing to every user you want to see, that's kinda the whole point of it... No one expects someone else to want to see and coordinate 100 calendars... that's just (pardon my french) stoopid. Do they really need to see all their calendars?!
  •  
dreniarb

p0ddie wrote on Fri, 10 September 2010 11:25
and additionally, with Exchange you have... 5x the cost and a floppy database that breaks every once in a while... Laughing

actually on the dozen or so customers i support that use exchange i haven't had the database crash even once over the past 6 or 7 years. I've found it to be a pretty stable platform. But yes, it is extremely expensive. thus the reason i'd love to move to something else.

p0ddie wrote on Fri, 10 September 2010 11:25
Anyway, there is no other way than manually subscribing to every user you want to see, that's kinda the whole point of it... No one expects someone else to want to see and coordinate 100 calendars... that's just (pardon my french) stoopid. Do they really need to see all their calendars?!

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well in my first post. I understand and am fine with the fact that people have to manually subscribe to another users shared resource. it's that way in exchange. The difference is that in exchange 1. the steps to access that resource are much much shorter and easier, and 2. once you do connect you don't have an extra mailbox entry in your folder list.

you are correct in that not everyone is going to want to see everyones calendar by default. i never said i wanted that. what i was hoping for was a way to push the sharing settings out. and the only reason i ask is because the current way to connect to a calendar is pretty frustrating. and if i know ahead of time that 30 (or sure, even 100) people are wanting to access each others calendars it would be a lot easier on me and them if i could just make it happen at the kerio administration screen, or via group policy or a one-time script that runs at logon.

i have exchange customers who have access to dozens of calendars. of course they don't view more than a handful at a time but they still have access to them, and they don't have 24 mailboxes in their folder list. and to take it to the extreme, if you're wanting to coordinate a meeting with 100 people, being able to see all 100 of those people in the free/busy screen makes it much easier to schedule that meeting. in kerio, who the heck wants 100 mailboxes in their folder list? in exchange, that isn't an issue.

I'd still like to hear from someone else that is doing this on a fairly large scale and see what their users think of the experience.

ps - this reply was long winded not because I felt p0ddie's comment needed it, but because i'm hoping that kerio developers read the forum and take note of these concerns.
  •  
zentinL

Sorry if this isn't exactly what you are asking for but at our company we want everyone to at least be able to view everybody's calendar as read only, and then they can manually pick who they want to have read and write access and add it normally.

We just have the end user go into their webmail once, right click on their calendar, and add the "all users from domain" as read only and then everyone gets to see that calendar. You can also do this with groups in Kerio in the webmail interface. We make it mandatory for a group of our users to have to make a group called "calendar editors" so a group of superviors have read/write access to their main work calendar since those people operate in more of a dispatched capacity with people sending them to certain customers. It works well. Beats having to enter every single person manually as delegates in ical.
  •  
TorW

Yeah! Set down a policy and take 10 minutes off everyone's time to educate the users on how to implement it. Sometimes it's better to train the users than jump through technical hoops (or scream at the vendor).
  •  
dreniarb

TorW wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 13:32
Sometimes it's better to train the users than jump through technical hoops (or scream at the vendor).

you are right, sometimes it is better to train users. Sometimes. This for me isn't one of them. Perhaps you're better at training than I am, perhaps your users are more "computer literate" than the users I work with. Either way, my frustrations still stand.

And I don't recall screaming at the vendor. Was it because I used the word "heck"? Anyways, I'm just stating my opinion about the software, specifically how it compares to exchange. They claim to be a superior alternative to exchange:

http://www.kerio.com/connect/exchange-alternative

Their first two reasons:

Better features
Easier to administer

So far I haven't seen that. Thus the reason I'm asking to hear about other administrators experiences with implementing kerio.

theletterexchange wrote on Sun, 12 September 2010 04:54
We just have the end user go into their webmail once, right click on their calendar, and add the "all users from domain" as read only and then everyone gets to see that calendar. You can also do this with groups in Kerio in the webmail interface.

Thanks I did notice this in Outlook via the folder sharing tab. And while it's nice to be able to do a blanket "everyone can read this calendar" when I first setup someones Outlook profile, it doesn't take away the extra steps in getting other users to see that calendar.

Do your users use outlook? Do they have a huge list of mailboxes in their folder list? If so how do they react to that? I would guess they're simply used to it by now but I just can't imagine them being happy about it.

Just to put a positive spin on this, I do like how it works in webmail. Even though you still have entries on the left column for the extra mailboxes, they're prefixed with a "~" so at least they fall to the bottom of the column. If I could get all my users to switch to webmail I'd be a happy admin, but that ain't gonna happen unfortunately.

I do like a lot of what I see in Kerio. It's definitely the only viable alternative to exchange i've seen over the years. And I've tried a lot.
  •  
zentinL

We are primarily a Mac focused company so all of our users are mostly Apple mail and iCal using CalDAV for calendaring or the web interface for some who don't need local data stores.

Using iCal, you still have to go in and manually choose which delegates you want to view in the main interface and I feel your pain on the tedium of it but I have found that after making a simple to follow PDF with screenshots most of the users were able to get this working properly themselves (and believe me, they are probably as technically savvy as your users Smile )

I think the problem though is that as far as my understanding goes, you can't really script the viewing of delegates on the server side because those subscriptions are handled on the client itself. For iCal I know this to be the case though it may not be for Outlook on the PC. Even if I subscribe to delegates in webmail, or in Outlook on the PC, it doesn't translate to iCal, and vice versa.

Maybe they could somehow create a template/script that you could then have each user run on their machines to have Outlook add the users you want them to see. But, I think this may be as much trouble as just getting the users to choose what calendars they want to see. I'd at least submit a feature request and try to solicit their feedback on if its possible or not. They've been pretty good in the past at explaining to me why my ideas aren't technically feasible in this universe. Very Happy

We plan on giving Outlook 2011 for Mac some serious consideration once Kerio supports EWS. As others have stated in this forum and which I feel is the truth, 95% of frustration I have ever had with calendaring and mail is not Kerio, or any other server for that matter, but the software clients apps themselves.
  •  
TorW

dreniarb wrote on Mon, 13 September 2010 17:05
And I don't recall screaming at the vendor.

Sorry about that. You weren't of course, but it's not uncommon for forum users to go into fits of rage over missing functionality in Kerio Connect. Bit of a waste of energy if you ask me ...
Previous Topic: Using DFS to replicate Kerio store
Next Topic: Multiple SMTP Banners
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 04:51:17 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00525 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.