Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect and Blackberry (Trying to determine which Verizon data plan to get)
  •  
jstrickland

Send a private message to this user
I have a user who has just acquired a BlackBerry, running OS 5.0 on it. Verizon is telling this user he needs to have the $50 corporate data plan to get push email. With Kerio, is this the case? Or is there a way to set his Blackberry up to receive push emails through Kerio, using just the standard data plan?
  •  
philippp

I am not quite sure... here in Austria, it suffices to get the cheapest-possible Blackberry plan.
Theoretically, I think it might be sufficient to get any normal data plan, but that would depend on your provider...

IT services for small companies
  •  
scottwilkins

Most carriers will attempt to get more out of "Corporate" users over the standard consumer. And, for basically the same service. A corporate account data is identical to consumer data for e-mail, no matter what e-mail server is used. Only plus to a corporate account is that you may have quicker access to higher level support folks at the carrier, at least in my experience. They justify charging more due to the usually higher need of support from corporate users.

Get the basic web browsing data pack and you should be good for anything.
  •  
JonL

That's not true.
The only way to get the "enterprise activation" option
is by purchasing the corporate upgrade.

At least that's the case with Sprint and ATT. I would venture to guess it's the same with Verizon.
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

That's not true sometimes. Most carriers use different data APN for Blackberry and this APN is required to activate Enterprise features.

Regular data plan often use APN "internet", "internet.t-mobile.com", "wap" etc. which is routed to the Internet directly.

Blackberry data plans use "blackberry.t-mobile.com" etc. which is routed through your BES server.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
scottwilkins

It's confusing isn't it? This is one of the main reasons I do not recommend a Blackberry device to anyone.

But, to clarify, if the "Enterprise features" is a different internet route, AND the addition of a BES server on the part of T-Mobile (in your example), wouldn't it be better to just get the lower plan and route e-mail through your personal BES server connect to your own Kerio e-mail server?
  •  
JonL

scottwilkins: it doesn't work that way. You have no control over the "route". In fact, you can't connect it to a BES server without the "enterprise activation" which is only available with the corporate pricing upgrade.
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

JonL wrote on Mon, 20 September 2010 18:13
scottwilkins: it doesn't work that way. You have no control over the "route". In fact, you can't connect it to a BES server without the "enterprise activation" which is only available with the corporate pricing upgrade.

That's correct. You can use regular data plan and then Astrasync or Notifysync which communicate over regular TCP/IP internet connection.

Even if you install your own BESX server, you still need Blackberry data plan in order to connect to that server (and activate the device).

Petr Dobry
  •  
scottwilkins

Petr Dobry (Kerio) wrote on Mon, 20 September 2010 18:17
Even if you install your own BESX server, you still need Blackberry data plan in order to connect to that server (and activate the device).

Wow. Did I mention I didn't like Blackberry? More fuel for the fire on that issue. Blackberry is the oldest corporate level smartphone on the market. Too bad they still stick to their old outdated ways. In more ways than one.
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

Well, that's their business model. On the other hand, Blackberry is the best smartphone for corporates who want to have a complete control over their mobile devices. BES allows to manage anything on the phone in terms of security, configuration, applications and manageability. You can control over 400 different features on every single phone.

Petr Dobry
Previous Topic: Active directory users passwords sync
Next Topic: Retrieve email from deleted user (email not deleted)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 13:38:51 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00514 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.