Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Kerio Winroute / Kerio Control Versions and VPN (How to update a site running Kerio Winroute free)
  •  
davex

Send a private message to this user
Hi there,

I administer a site that is currently using a previous (and I believe free) version of Kerio Winroute which acts as an internet router, DHCP server and authenticated proxy server for LAN users.

This setup I inherited when the previous admin who was at this organisation full time left.

They are now looking to integrate some remote sites and I am investigation options. Given the limited bandwidth available at the master site my preferred option is to route all internet traffic directly out at these sites and only have access to central resources such as SMB shares coming in over a VPN.

I know the version installed supports VPN via the Kerio VPN client but I now notice on the website that Kerio Control features an SSL VPN allowing for shortcuts just to used resources.

So my questions:

1. Am I right that there is no current free version of the Kerio system - the only mention on the site is of Kerio Control 7 and it's a priced product.

2. I have seen versions of Kerio Winroute 6 available on the likes of softpedia listed as a "free version" (I assume that is what we are running now or at least could be). Does anyone know if this also supports SSL VPN?

3. If indeed Kerio Control is the new and commercal only version is there any simple guide on the advantages updating to a paid version would give (so I can pitch to the organisation if required).

4. If we decide to use the Kerio VPN client can this be configured to only route certain traffic down the VPN. In the past I've had terrible trouble using inbuilt windows VPNs with PPTP where all traffic will go even if you try and route just certain subnets.

I hope that is clear and thank you in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Dave.
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

davex wrote on Tue, 07 September 2010 22:50
I administer a site that is currently using a previous (and I believe free) version of Kerio Winroute which acts as an internet router, DHCP server and authenticated proxy server for LAN users.

1. Am I right that there is no current free version of the Kerio system - the only mention on the site is of Kerio Control 7 and it's a priced product.

There was no free version of Kerio Winroute Firewall. Both - Kerio Winroute Firewall and Kerio Control are paid products with 30 day trial.
Quote:

4. If we decide to use the Kerio VPN client can this be configured to only route certain traffic down the VPN. In the past I've had terrible trouble using inbuilt windows VPNs with PPTP where all traffic will go even if you try and route just certain subnets.

Kerio VPN routes only IP subnets in your LAN network. Remote clients can't use VPN to access the Internet though Kerio Control server.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2010 23:10] by Moderator

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
davex

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Well it's been running for over a year so they must be running the full version - I'll look into it.

Thanks for the info about the VPN client.

Regards,

Dave.
Previous Topic: "Locked" Firewall
Next Topic: prohibit the simultaneous use of one login on multiple computers
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 03:59:45 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00418 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.