Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Blackberry BESX with KC - troubleshooting (distinguished name) (Error: Could not find server distinguished name. user: User Name)
  •  
philippp

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

my BESX tends to enter a state of using 100% CPU, until the self-healing of BESX stops the process (and after some hours does not start it again after 10 tries).
I suspect the cause to be the error
(AFFF4EC3) -> Could not find server distinguished name. user: xxx xxx

which I found in the BESX log.

Does anyone have a clue what to about this?

In Blackberry KB I read that this could be solved by setting the domain/server explicitly in the user's Exchange mailbox -- well I have KC instead...

Regards,
Philipp

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2010 08:35]

IT services for small companies
  •  
bgoldstrom

I am having the exact same problem. So I will keep an eye on this post for answers.
  •  
philippp

Youre highly welcome - at least I know I am not alone Smile

I am not sure whether this is exactly the same problem, but also MrSpock mentions this error (see this post and replies further down).
I have made a support request, and Kerio staff is currently looking into it - I hope they find a solution.

I was wondering whether it could be DNS-related (my kerio mail domain name is different from the AD domain name). But I think its more likely a MAPI-related problem...??

[Updated on: Thu, 23 September 2010 09:43]

•  
philippp

kerio support just told me that they think the error message is harmless (it just shows that BESX is first querying AD about the user, which of course fails, and then instantly queries MAPI which should of course succeed).

--> It would be helpful if anyone whose BESX is working could confirm that he/she also sees these log entries.

Still, my problem is the CPU load and that public contacts do not show up.

Support says they are still investigating this...

Any progress on your site?

Regards,
Philipp

•  
bgoldstrom

I am still getting these log entries. Although I don't have the CPU load you mention. My public contacts don't show up, but I can search for them and find them.
  •  
trnkyit

I am also getting the same error and high CPU load. The blackberry agent crashes and then its a 50/50 chance that one of the users will stop getting sync'ed...

Corey
  •  
philippp

trnkyit, thanks for joining us (welcome to the club Wink

It just came to my mind that the problem maybe could be caused by the fact that my users are also present in AD? I mean, for my Kerio user bob@domain.at I also have bob in active directory, as bob<_at_>domain.local - so its bob in both realms. So, if (as kerio support says) BESX is querying AD first and then falls back to querying mapi, BESX might get confused by the fact that it found the AD-bob in the first place?

Is this also the case in your setup?

Kind regards, Philipp

•  
trnkyit

Philipp,

I had that though also, but at that time during the install I didn't have the user ( bob also LOL ) under AD and it still spiked the CPU and crashed BESX. I tried adding him to AD to see if the message and CPU usage dropped but it didn't. Anyway, here is my setup.

1. Kerio mailserver on a standalone box co-located in dallas. Its running the latest 7.1.1 build 1951. This is a Windows 2008 standard box in its own workgroup named TRNKYIT

2. Blackberry server is running on a VM in a domain named trnkyit.local . ( Citrix Xenserver ) Its in a colo in California. This box is running Windows 2003 SP2 Standard and is a member of the domain listed above. Its is not running any other roles or features. It is running on a BESAdmin local user account with the proper permissions for BESX. When I login into the BES admin console I use the local BES admin account and not the AD account login that is the default option.

The only issue's I see here is the 2Mbps connection between the two boxes and the workgroup/ domain having the same primary name.

Corey

•  
philippp

Corey,

thanks - so it seems we can rule out a "dual-personality" kind of problem for bob.
(Haha Wink

My setup is a minimalistic one, all on one box (intended for max. 6 users). Its a windows 2003 sbs but with only the "ordinary" server part installed, acting as a domain controller.

What I see in common is that I also have a company.local domain whereas KC acts on a company.at domain. Still, kerio explicitly said that this is ok (that was with BES 5.0.1, but I hope it also holds for 5.0.2).

I wonder whether I should install and uninstall Outlook on the server, to get the "mail" item in the control panel, so that I can inspect the MAPI profile. Or, who knows, maybe this has some other healing side-effects?? What do you think?

Philipp

•  
trnkyit

Phillip,

I don't think I would install Outlook on the server. If you had an exchange setup, you would install the exchange mapi client not the outlook client. Because we use Kerio we install the Kerio Blackberry connector, as it mimics the exchange mapi client. I understand what you're thinking, but I dont'see a good outcome from trying it.

Corey

•  
philippp

Thanks, Corey.

It seems I managed to get rid of the CPU problem!
I had a closer look at into the MAGT log, and found error about 001e6602 reg value missing, so I did sth like suggestedhere - the 001e6602 key was totally missing. (Before, I also did fixmapisvc.exe c:\windows\system32\mapisvc.inf
in the utlities folder of BESX - no Idea if that had any influence.)

I went on:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>fixmapi.exe which was quite silent, probally irrelevant also.
I stopped KC, started the KBC config utility and cleared the cache.
Rebooted the machine.
Did a repair install of KBC.
Then I did:
D:\Programme\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility>HandheldCleanup.exe -u
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Utility - HandheldCleanup.exe, Version 2.0
Copyright (c) Research In Motion, Ltd. 2000-2001. All rights reserved.
Attempting MAPILogon....
MAPILogon Success.
Opening Default Message Store Mailbox - besadmin_7a45cdc9-f1df-4fd9-8237-3991445c7e8e<_at_>domain.at.
Please Enter BESName: -> myBESX
Scanning handhelds....this may take a while...

Change detected for:
Current DisplayName: Bob User
Previous DisplayName: Bob User
Current ServerDN: /o=Kerio/ou=Kerio Connect/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=mydomain.at/cn=Microsoft Privat
e MDB
Previous ServerDN /o=Kerio/ou=Kerio Connect/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=mydomain.at/cn=Microsoft Privat
e MDB
Current SMTP address: user<_at_>mydomain.at
Previous SMTP address user<_at_>mydomain.at
Update Handhelds Complete
HandheldCleanup.exe finished

I also checked the dlls as suggested here (just to find that I did not have any other versions of these on my system).

Since then, then the CPU load has stayed normal.
Dont know what the significant step was - perhaps the reg key and the handheldcleanup -u.

----------------------------------

Still, no luck with public contacts.
I noticed 4 x
{0x2508} Public Folder Monitor: MAPI error 80004002 detected at PFSession.cpp (97)
in the MAGT log... probably thats the right track, but I did not find anything useful about this error.
The public folders have an Umlaut in their name in the german localization - could this be a problem? (Someone in the forum mentioned that a double quote in the users real name caused trouble.)

The errors about the destinguished server name also remained.
I then experimented further and added the regkey to all other sections in all mapi profiles, and now I am getting
(AFFF50ED) -> MailboxManager::CreateProfile (BES_CDO_6968_1) - ConfigureMsgService (80040115) - Ensure that IPv6 is disabled on the Exchange Server or configure the BES to use the closest global catalog server

I think I will try to recreate the MAPI profiles, as suggested here - though I am wondering whether this will need a repair install of KBC or or other steps??

•  
philippp

Mh, this looks useful, especially the section about CDO!! I guess kerio has a similar approach like scalix et al.
Edit: Does not seem to change my problems.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 October 2010 10:40]

•  
philippp

I recreated the MAPI profiles, and voila - the 001e6602 issue and the CPU issue were back again. After that, adding the missing 001e6602 keys and running HandheldCleanup.exe -u again solved the CPU issue!

•  
Moshe

Philipp it look like you did great research. we are having the same exact issues and will appreciate if you can make few things clear

1. Did you use CDO 1.2.1 as described in Microsoft KB15779 or the original CDO that comes with Exchange server cd?
2. Are you using ip address or fqdn . we are using ip address and not sure if it make a difference? (our kerio is running on Linux)
3. The article you suggested - regarding 001e6602 key does not match the same exact registry keys we can see can you confirm the name of the 2 keys you updated (with fqdn or ip )?
4. How did you recreate he MAPI profiles?
5. How do you stop KBC there is no such a service

any help will be appreciated
philippp

Moshe,
its always good to read that I am not alone.

I was fighting against BESX a little more and now the CPU issue seems to have come back - I am not sure whether I triggered it again or whether all the above was just useless. Anyway I am curious what you find if you decide to try something of that...

1.) I downloaded it from MS.
2.) I tried the fqdn. I also tried IP an hour ago, but didnt seem to make a difference (or I was too impatient?).
3.) Yes it didnt exactly match. I added the reg key to the cda... folder in all profiles which had one. But it is true that my BESX is running on an SBS 2003, so I decided that the issue basically matches.
4.) It seems that the MAPI profiles are first created by KBC installer, and then modified by BESX (it seems to add one or two "folders" upon first start??). BESX also creates additional (temporary?) profiles as it runs.
Removing KBC, renaming the whole MAPI profiles registry tree and re-installing KBC seems to yield new profiles.
5.) Thats a good question! I stopped all services of BESX, then KC, and then shot the process via ProcessExplorer (I dont remember its exact name, but you will find it).

Philipp

Previous Topic: iCal issue - created events missing info after sync to server
Next Topic: can't tell if this is an Entourage or Kerio issue
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 06:00:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00571 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.