Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOC / Outlook 2010 / Terminalserver
  •  
sveloso

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

is it true? No KOC for Outlook 2010?
What about using Outlook/Kerio on Terminalserver.

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=17501&S=8 cc4a01251dfcfff52886ae64f4bcb66

Seems that this is coming true. serious? If yes, sorry to say - no Kerio for me and my customers.

We do have some clients using terminalserver/citrix with Outlook/Kerio. One of them will upgrade from Office 2003 directly to 2010. So, no go?
  •  
mail4me

Hi!
We are preparing to swith about 15 users to Terminal Server Farms too. Having read all forum topics here, it seems a bad idea to stop support for KOC. At our local PCs the cache file is about 6GB with high fragmentation. Opening Outlook in the morning takes a lot of time and pc load.

KERIO: Please give us all a suitable way to further use your product with Terminal Server based installations.

Best regards !
  •  
Simple

We are also using KOC/Outlook XP on our Citrix Servers for about 100 users. We really don't want to use the KOFF on our servers because of the memory usage/load and cache diskspace.

I hope Kerio will think about us! Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2010 13:33]

•  
sveloso

Hi Folks,
German reseller informed me, that Kerio stopped development of KOC.
In future only KOFF - also for terminalserver environments.

Sounds pretty stupid - store.fdb with 2 GB or bigger on server based profiles *puuh*.
On an earlier thread german support told me to redirect the store.fdb to a file server (or whatever).
Well, why shoud I do this? This doubles my mailspace. KOFF also increases memory usage, because it needs
round about 100 MB on RAM per User. 20 user on a terminalserver means 2 GB of RAM for KOFF? As I said - pretty stupid, guys.
  •  
sveloso

No one interested in using KOC on Terminalservers?
  •  
TorW

sveloso wrote on Thu, 09 September 2010 15:12

On an earlier thread german support told me to redirect the store.fdb to a file server (or whatever).

That's not feasible with roaming profiles since the source of the junction disappears as soon as the user logs off. If Kerio had put the message cache (STORE.FDB) in a folder which supports redirection via Group Policy, the problem would be nonexistent.

KOFF is awkward in terminal server environments, in domains with roaming profiles or in large organizations: you can't redirect or roam the cache (or indeed drop the caching altogether), and it's nearly impossible to roll out in an automated way.

It's a pretty odd situation since Kerio Connect is marketed as the MS Exchange alternative. I have no idea what Kerio is working on at the moment, but the client side could definitely use some improvements. It's not like the average IT departement have oceans of time to get anything done ...
  •  
sveloso

Any news on this?
  •  
Trent Greenawalt

This will pose a huge issue for us as well. I don't understand why they would stop support for KOC in a terminal server environment. Having to store everyone's cached mailboxes on te TS is rediculous and as everyone has pointed out SLOW and COMBERSOME.

If you are going to be a true Exchange alternative, you will need to give the option in KOFF to not store locally then. I know it is complete backwards thinking, but in any TS, Citrix, or other environment where local storage is not possible, this just won't work and will be a deal breaker.

To take this further, we are considering moving to Thin clients. So trying to run KOFF on those would be impossible as well. This is making Kerio and Undesirable solution.

Keep up the comments on this forum,
Trent Greenawalt

-I built a house out of my to-do list, I now have the biggest house in the country. Awesome!
Trent Greenawalt
  •  
Simple

Well we can write what we want here, but I don't think Kerio will listen to it. The forum is not a official support channel of Kerio.
  •  
sveloso

well, i'm pretty sure, that guys from kerio read this forum and they are also aware of this problem.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2010 11:11]

•  
TorW

Kerio already has a feature request filed. Its number is #12881 and it deals with being able to change the location of the message cache in KOFF. Right now (Sept 2010) it's hardcoded in KOFF.

Contact support via the official channels and say you want to "vote" for feature request #12881. The request was already on file in January 2009.

I don't know if turning off the caching in KOFF (for terminal server use) is part of the request, but mentioning it can't hurt. In short: we need "Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition) (Online Edition)" Wink
  •  
gmaoret

Wwe are a Kerio Partner and we have many customers using Terminal Server, even in "FARM" mode.

If Kerio doesn't support a "Terminal Client" with Outlook 2010 we MUST change our offer to Exchange Server cause KOFF is really too heavy in a Terminal Enviroment and doesn't support Roaming Profiles for a Terminal Farm.

Hope Kerio develops a solution to this issue very soon.

P.S.: excuse me for my bad English!!!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

If you're a Kerio Partner it would be more productive to contact your Kerio Channel Manager with your concerns.
  •  
mail4me

Our subscription license is due in November. Having a project to migrate to terminal server on the run, we are in severe doubt whether we should renew or not (25 user). Is there any possibility to file a poll / issue??

Please don't let this thread end unheard!
TorW

I've already said it elsewhere on the forum, but an x64 Windows server in Terminal Server mode with a fast disk system and 16-20 GB RAM will handle 50 users with MS Office and KOFF without problems. If someone needs proof, I can supply screen dumps of the task manager process list and performance tab.

Memory costs small money these days (less than an MS Exchange license, up to a point), and Windows 2003 x64/2008 on the right hardware can handle dozens of TS users just fine.

But I still think we need a TS KOFF.
Previous Topic: Where does, mail deleted from Public folder, go?
Next Topic: autodiscover returns wrong server
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Aug 20 02:17:45 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00561 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.