Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect 7.1.1 experience?
  •  
b-tom

Send a private message to this user
Any experience with Kerio Connect 7.1.1 on Mac servers?
  •  
grahamgilbert

We upgraded our 10.6.4 mail server to 7.1.1 on Sunday morning. Everything seems to be ok so far...
  •  
b-tom

Sounds good. Which KM version did you upgrade?
  •  
grahamgilbert

7.1 patch 1 (?? The last one anyway).
  •  
kthomas

We upgraded from 7.1.0 to 7.1.1, this is an Intel Xserve running OS X Server 10.4.11.
The upgrade went smoothly.

We're still seeing duplication in user Calendars that was introduced with 7.1.0, however.
  •  
marook

An INTEL xServe running 10.4?????????
You know - they almost THROW 10.6 Server after you if you go to an Apple Store.. (or buy it online...)

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
GlennK

marook wrote on Fri, 24 September 2010 01:27
An INTEL xServe running 10.4?????????
You know - they almost THROW 10.6 Server after you if you go to an Apple Store.. (or buy it online...)

Hah! Good one. I know how it is though... sometimes you don't want to mess with success if its running especially if you have a large number of users and downtime is a problem.

I want to go ahead with the 7.11 (from 7.02) but this calendar dupe thing is worrying me. Any idea how pervasive this is or if its been verified by Kerio as definitely being caused by 7.1?

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2010 13:53]

•  
kthomas

Exactly, 10.4 runs great for us combined with SoftRAID for mirroring 15k SAS drives.
That said, no one has ever "thrown" a $500 OS upgrade at us, either! Razz

There's more info on the duplication issue here: http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=17946

In a nutshell, Kerio has filed this as a high priority bug. Support informed me that downgrading to 7.0.2 does not stop the duplication problem after it has started. We never saw this behavior until 7.1.

The duplication has been a huge pain for us; personally I'd wait for a patch.
  •  
marook

kthomas wrote on Fri, 24 September 2010 17:15
Exactly, 10.4 runs great for us combined with SoftRAID for mirroring 15k SAS drives.
That said, no one has ever "thrown" a $500 OS upgrade at us, either! Razz

Compared to a Windows Server licens + CAL licenses +.... it's actually close.
10.4.0 was released in april 2005 - it's a 5+ year old OS...
10.6 is so much more stable, has much better OD, will utilize your XServe much better, runs 64bit... the list goes on.

It's a snap to make the installation on another Mac (even a mini) and clone it over.

Your millage may vary, but the benefits you get from the $499 is huge!

But it's your system.. Wink

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
kthomas

marook wrote on Sat, 25 September 2010 07:28

Compared to a Windows Server licens + CAL licenses +.... it's actually close.

Preaching to the choir here, marook! Unfortunately, budgets are tight these days.

We do run 10.6.4 on other servers for OD, SUS, and NetBoot/NetInstall services where it's easily justified. Our Kerio server only runs Kerio though, no Apple services.
We've even considered running 10.6 client, but don't want to lose Xserve functionality like LOM, Server Monitor, etc.

Curious about the advantages of 10.6 for Kerio, though- it's my understanding that Kerio doesn't benefit from a 64-bit OS. Kerio's performance seems mostly IO bound- have you seen improvements in 10.6? From our admittedly limited testing on identical hardware, IO hasn't changed from 10.4 to 10.6. (10.5 was actually a bit slower.)
I'd love some empirical data to support an upgrade!

Apologies to the forum if this is getting too far off topic, happy to take this discussion elsewhere.
  •  
jamesf

Marook you stated, "Compared to a Windows Server licens + CAL licenses +.... it's actually close."

When I check the cost of a Windows Server license alone is $695 and each Cal costs $28.

What am I missing in the cost comparison?
  •  
marook

jamesf wrote on Mon, 27 September 2010 19:10
Marook you stated, "Compared to a Windows Server licens + CAL licenses +.... it's actually close."

When I check the cost of a Windows Server license alone is $695 and each Cal costs $28.

What am I missing in the cost comparison?

From the fact that OS X Server is Unlimited for $499,-??
And that's 32 PLUS 64 bit versions in the same runtime, simultaneously..

I'm sure you can run Kerio on a base Windows Server, but as soon as you need anything else, it Quickly runs up!
Terminal Server needs TS licenses + CAL licenses.. (!)

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2010 19:28]

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

kthomas wrote on Fri, 24 September 2010 17:15

Well, Apple is no longer supporting development of applications for Mac OS X Tiger Server. So it is very likely that we will be forced to drop support for this system soon. And same thing will probably happen with Leopard in the future.

OpenDirectory on Snow Leopard is far better and even supports correct replication of the LDAP server. So, it is definitely worth the upgrade.
  •  
jamesf

Marook, it appears I was not clear in my question about the cost comparison of Kerio on a Windows server versus the upgrade cost for it on an Mac Server.

I inferred from your statement that you were saying the cost of the two were close but that when I checked the cost of the Windows license alone was more than the Snow Leopard Server upgrade cost.

Did I misunderstand your statement?
marook

Actually, the $499 is not the upgrade - it the complete retail price - there is no upgrade price!
You might even get it cheaper if you have EDU access.. oh well.. Wink

Regarding the Mac vs. Win price, I don't know.. Have to admit I did not even check the prices before posting - it was a quick attemt at stating the retail price is not that expensive.. and it's very simple - there is only on price.

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
Previous Topic: Authentication failure with Open Directory
Next Topic: Apple Mail App - subscribing to shared folders
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 17 18:44:27 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00579 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.