Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Migration Tool on same server? (Is it possible to migrate two imap servers on the same hardware?)
  •  
axel

Send a private message to this user
I want to migrate a Snow Leopard imap server using Kerio IMAP Migration tool, to a new Kerio Connect server installation, running on the same server hardware.

I normally would do that by running either Kerio or Apple (Dovecot) on another port number, but the great KIMT does not support other than the standard imap port numbers.

Or is there a hidden feature?

It would help a lot, as other wise I have to install on a separate server first or figure out if I can let Dovecot listen to only 1 IP address instead of '*'. I know Kerio can.

•  
zentinL

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MainConfig

The listen= section. I believe you can just change the asterisk in that config file to an actual IP address instead of the wild card. then tell Kerio to listen on the other port. I think this will work though not 100% sure.
  •  
travisdcc

I did what you are trying to do on a 10.4 server that I was converting from Apple Mail to Kerio. You can do it in the GUI. I don't have the exact steps written down, but it was simple and similar to this. You may have to try a couple options to get it right...

- Go to System Preferences > Network.
- Choose 'Show network port configurations' (or something)
- Find the one for built-in Ethernet
- Click 'Duplicate' (or create a New Ethernet connection)

I assigned a new IP to the second Ethernet connection and then used the two IPs in the IMAP migration tool. I think I restricted the IMAP in Kerio to only the new IP also. It worked great.

Good luck.
  •  
axel

@theletterexchange:
thanks for your info on Dovecot. The strange thing is that the standard imap port (143) isn't defined anywhere in the /private/etc/dovecot config files. Unlike e.g. postfix where *everything* is defined in the main and master, I hope I can assume that dovecot has the standard ports defined as default, even when you set listen to another ip.

@travisdcc:
Thanks, (I knew that Wink (but someone else might not)) The tricky thing however is to get Apple's mailserver to listen to a specific ip.
The brute force way of doing it would be to start Kerio first. It then grabs the ip:port to which it is assigned. Then start the Apple mailserver, which will complain it is not able to listen on all interfaces, but will probably listen on the free ip:port.

Kerio Support also supplied me with this nugget:
I'm sorry but we default on port 143 with KIMT as it was designed to run on another box, then talk to the servers in turn.
The only way I think you could do this is by setting up a test Kerio install on another PC/desktop then use KIMT to migrate them over. backup the server and then restore it onto the main. as if you were transfering it from one box to another.

•  
travisdcc

Axel,

I missed a step in my instructions. I had to change the cyrus.conf file so that the Apple IMAP would only listen on one of the IPs. I then set the Kerio server to only listen on the other IP. This is the line I changed in /etc/cyrus.conf...

imap cmd="imapd" listen="192.168.5.11:imap" prefork=0

Hope that gets it going for you.
  •  
travisdcc

Axel,

I just read your reply again. From what you wrote it looks like the 10.6 server might be using a different IMAP server. If so, what I wrote might not be helpful (but hopefully will help someone running 10.4 one day).
  •  
axel

Indeed Travis.
(Snow) Leopard exchanged the cumbersome cyrus imap server to dovecot. Cumbersome mainly because once in a while you had to manually rebuild the indexes and Apple had its own cyrus admin tool with different options than the linux version, if my memory serves me correctly.

Dovecot works better. The main reason for upgrading to Kerio is the much better agenda and webmail interface.
Previous Topic: Domains missing, SQL-Error on Users/Groups
Next Topic: MAPI error when starting Outlook 2003
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 15:53:32 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00462 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.