Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Kerio Control 7.1 Software Maintenance vs. Subscription vs. License
  •  
Richard GABRIEL

Send a private message to this user
This is to explain the difference between Software Maintenance, Subscription and License since the Kerio Control 7.1.0 version.

Software Maintenance is basically the thing we called Subscription before. It is valid for a certain period (usually 1 or 2 years) and it entitles the owner to update the product to any newer version released within that period. If the Software Maintenance expires, the product remains fully functional (and it is fully legal to continue using it) but it is not possible to install newer versions anymore.

The License proves ownership of the product. Standard licenses do never expire. However, there are some special types of licenses (NFR, testing etc.) which may expire. Also, a trial version expires 1 month after installation if no valid license is installed.
If the License (or the trial period) expires, the functionality of the product will be limited. In particular, the following features will be turned off:
* IPS, integrated and external anti-virus engines
* VPN Server, all tunnels, SSL-VPN Server
* Accounting - gathering statistics,
* HTTP Policy, FTP Policy, HTTP Proxy Server, Forbidden words
* Bandwidth Limiter, is turned off
* 'Require user authentication', NTLM authentication
* UPnP server, P2P Eliminator, Anti-spoofing, MAC Filter

Should anything be still unclear, please do not hesitate to post a question here.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 April 2014 14:29] by Moderator

Richard Gabriel
Kerio Technologies
  •  
ashishchamoli

Thanks Richard for your to the point explanation. This explanation however brings a question to my mind:

Do you mean to say that "Using the other active functionalities after the expiry of the license is legal"?

Best,

Ashish Chamoli
Eximprise Technologies Private Limited
New Delhi, India
  •  
Richard GABRIEL

Corrected answer: No.

I'm really wondering if the "torso" which remains of the product after the license expiration would be actually usable at all... Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2010 15:03]

Richard Gabriel
Kerio Technologies
  •  
ashishchamoli

I assume we got to give it a try. As the "Traffic Policy" is excluded from features that will be turned off (if the License (or the trial period) expires), their is a good scope of continuing to use it.

Best,

Ashish Chamoli
Eximprise Technologies Private Limited
New Delhi, India
  •  
Richard GABRIEL

I'm sorry for the previous misinformation. It is NOT LEGAL to use the product after the license/trial version has expired. After expiration, the product provides limited functionality which only serves for (re)registration with a valid license.

Richard Gabriel
Kerio Technologies
  •  
Reinaldo

Hi Richard, is there any effect over the Internet throughput? A customer has detected that behavior after the trial license has expired.
If yes, is there any additional non commented feature that stops or functions below normal level?
Thanks,
Reinaldo
  •  
neil2440

HI,

I installed kerio with trial license with no issues. Then to see what all applications and working is impacted i moved the date 60 days ahead and the license expired. I can easily see the difference.

I uninstalled the application and reverted the date back to current. I tried installing kerio again and this time at the time of activation I was not presented with registering trial license.

It was directly asking me to purchase, I did not get time to check the working in the trial period.

Cannot i install the 30 day trial again, is after uninstallation kerio leaves its trace that is checking that I have already moved the days 60 days ahead.
  •  
souji

Hi Richard,
i have some trouble here, my Kerio Control now cannot filter MAC Address.
when i first test it works well, before MAC is listed on kerio, i cannot access, even ping to Kerio not allowed.
right now, software maintenance has expired, and it seems everyone can access to kerio.

is MAC Filtering will not be functioned after software maintenance expired?
need answer ASAP, thanks

•  
vvk

Hi Rechard !

I work for Enterprise with 1000 internet users. If We use Kerio Control on Gateways.
How can I calculate lincense for this case ?
Thanks
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

If you have 1000 physical users, you will need a license for 1000 users.
For more details, please contact one of our partners (http://www.kerio.com/partners/locator/search) or our sales department (http://www.kerio.com)

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
JaviGM

Hi Richard! My doubt about this is with the periods of the Software Maintenence: if i buy one year and period expires, when i renew Software Maintenence (after expiration, one month for example) which is the new period of Software Maintenence (from new date or from the end of the previous valid period)??
I hope you understand me, my english is very very primitive...

Javier
Previous Topic: How to migrate (export/import cfg) Kerio Control to older version?
Next Topic: can't access to website
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 06:49:19 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00491 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.