Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook autocomplete and NK2 files (Migrating autocomplete entries)
  •  
blturner

Send a private message to this user
I am migrating 25 outlook users from Exchange to Kerio.

Whenever you make a new profile in Outlook it creates a new previous recipients file. This makes the user loose all of their autocomplete addresses. You rename the .NK2 file to the new profile name to fix this.

Turns out that is pretty easy to fix barring one problem.

Here is a Microsoft article on the subject.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/copy-autocomp lete-name-list-to-another-computer-HA001139451.aspx

The one problem is that the local exchange users autocomplete addresses are the X400 addresses that the Exchange server preferred.

The messages bounce. I am having to go through on each user that wants their NK2 file migrated and manually delete all the local addresses. Fortunately we don't have that many users. I can see this as being a real problem for many sites.

Is there a trick to make this easier?

Brian

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2010 19:26]

•  
TorW

In my experience, migrating Outlook's autocomplete (.NK2) files is not a good idea when you switch from MS Exchange to Kerio. Some of the autocomplete addresses appears to be linked to former private or public distribution lists, some to entries in public or private Contact folders and some to the old MS Exchange global address list. The problem is you'll never know which is which, and you may end up having random addresses (both external and internal) bouncing or sitting in the Outbox "forever". On top of that, lots of addresses will work like they did before.

This may also happen when the user simply replies to mails which arrived before the migration. And then again, it may not. It depends on too many things Wink

I'd say NK2 file migration is not worth the hassle. You'll have plenty of stuff to take care of after a migration in any case, and users will fairly quickly generate new autocomplete lists starting from scratch.
  •  
blturner

I am now finding the problems with groups and such as you mention. So basically we lose the autocomplete list in the migration. This is going to irritate my boss.

I am going to look into those .NK2 editors.

Brian
  •  
TorW

blturner wrote on Sat, 02 October 2010 16:39
This is going to irritate my boss.

If the temporary loss of his autocomplete list is the worst that happens during the migration, I'd say you're pretty well off. We never evaluate migrations until a few weeks have passed, because there are simply too many things which aren't the same as before and the users are initially too confused.

"Works different than before" is not a real showstopper, but that's the thing you will hear the most during the first few days:

Other things that is more or less different:

• Out-of-Office Autoreply setup
  • Calendar sharing
  • Auto archiving
  • Account setup
  • Group calendars

•  
robsik

It's realy annoying thing that we have to do - we're using NK2VIEWER to work with this issue. With this freeware software it is possible to organize NK2 files and remove all bad entries (f.e. exchange addresses).

BUT: you have to know and you have to let know your users, that such a new product always give some additional thing to do - they should have that some things will have to waint and some of this will never happend. When you start such as migration try to prepare your users as first.

Robert
  •  
lydigconstruction

The newest version of nk2view has an option to delete the X400 addresses automatically.

nk2view.exe /delete_by_type EX /nk2file c:\blah\blah\profile.nk2

We used it in a script during migration and it seemed to do the trick fairly well. Keeps all the smtp addresses and removes the X400 addresses. For the few users who complained about not having local users in their autocomplete I simply paste the names of everyone on our server into an email on their machine and hit the 'check names' button....then delete the email without sending.
Previous Topic: Outlook 2007 hangs when connected to KOC
Next Topic: Mail.app duplicates messages when using client side rules
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Oct 18 15:05:22 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00441 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.