Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connect Backups - Size and time to complete?
  •  
Richard Spensley

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

Our Kerio store folder is roughly 80-90GB large. Kerio is running on a Mac G5 machine.

My questions are:

1. How large should the Backup be considering the files are zipped if the setting is to only keep 1 Complete Backup plus incrementals every day? i.e. what size Hard Drive should we have to keep the Backup files on?

2. How long should the incremental Backup take (roughly)? It seems to be taking 9 hours at the moment which seems a long time for a daily incremental.

3. Is there any way to delete the existing Backups and start again (other than manually)?

4. Is there any way to Stop a current Backup once it has been started? There seems to be no button on the Admin interface to do this.

Thanks Smile
  •  
sedell

Quote:
1. How large should the Backup be considering the files are zipped if the setting is to only keep 1 Complete Backup plus incrementals every day? i.e. what size Hard Drive should we have to keep the Backup files on?

This will depend on what makes up your mail. If there are a lot of attachments that don't compress well, it'll be much larger than if it was all text mail. But for a ballpark, I have a 75 GB message store at the moment. The full backup is 31 GB, the incremental starts out at around 400 MB the first day, and gets to be around 1 GB by the end of the week.

Quote:
2. How long should the incremental Backup take (roughly)? It seems to be taking 9 hours at the moment which seems a long time for a daily incremental.

There are a lot of variables here. Speed of drives, CPU speed, how much changed during the day, network transfer time if you backup to a network location, etc. A couple of years ago we had a SATA RAID 1 setup, and it would take 14-15 hours for the full backup to a network location. I forget what the incremental times were. Now we have a 6 disk SAS RAID 10. Our full backup takes roughly 4 hours, and the incremental is between 5 and 15 minutes depending on how busy that day was.

Quote:
3. Is there any way to delete the existing Backups and start again (other than manually)?

I think manual is the only option here.

Quote:
4. Is there any way to Stop a current Backup once it has been started?

I don't believe there is. I never tried the scheduled backup, but I did once accidentally start a manual backup, and I couldn't find a way to kill it at the time. I don't believe that's changed.

Scott
  •  
Richard Spensley

Thanks very much for the comprehensive replies, that's a big help Smile

FYI we are backing up to standard internal (SATA) HD in the G5 so the speed should be about as quick as we can get it for that machine without investing in newer eSATA internal card/drive setups.

We'll just have to keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
  •  
Backspin

What is your drive setup at the moment in your G5? Are you running software raid? Or 2 separate drives?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 October 2010 22:14]

•  
Richard Spensley

2 separate drives, each 160GB internal SATA
  •  
Richard Spensley

I think something is going wrong as yesterday I deleted the Backups and started again by manually starting a backup which completed fine and then a scheduled backup at 1.00 am also completed so when I came back in this morning I expected to find one full backup and one incremental backup.
However, what I found was two backups of around 50GB each!? So now I am quite confused. The setting for the backups is to only keep 1 complete backup (not 7 as it was set by default).
Any ideas?
  •  
p0ddie

can't really help there, just a side note: the zip compression of the backups run on one core only, so a multicore cpu is of no use here...that explains why some of my user's backups take hours even on a speedy 8 core xserve.
  •  
nhoague

Here is my setup. We use Kerio's default schedule for backups, 1am differentials on everyday and a 1am full on Sundays. Our fulls are 190GB (we have a 450GB store) on an external eSata 4.6TB Raid 5. A full backup can take up to 10 hours. Our differentials only take 35 min.

From experience, if you manually start a backup, it will be marked with a "C" and not a "F". The built in differential only backups from Kerio run full backups, not manual. This is why it had to create a new full even though you made one manually.

We have our system set to keep 12 full backups, but any manual run full backups aren't included. So it would keep as many of those as I manually create, or delete.

Hope this helps.
  •  
Richard Spensley

Thanks Nicholas, I hadn't realised the difference between a manual backup and a scheduled. You are right, they are marked differently. I will delete the manual backup and let the scheduled backups continue.

Thanks Smile
Previous Topic: User fake_password_98.#
Next Topic: Android 1.6 issues with Contacts & Mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 17:05:50 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00509 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.