Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » New server migration (Restore data to new server)
  •  
D3nis3

Send a private message to this user
I am migrating to a new server and wanted to minimize the restore time. I have a full backup already completed and wanted to go ahead and run the restore of this backup to the new server. I can then stop the Kerio service on the old server, run a differential backup and then just restore the differential to the new server. Will that restore all the data? Do I have to restore the last full and differential at the same time or can I run it separately to save time?

Thanks for any input you could provide.
  •  
Backspin

If you're on Linux, here's what I did to migrate a Kerio server with a minimum of downtime (about 5 minutes). Migrated from Linux->Linux. Should work on Mac OS X as well, don't know about Windows.

- install Kerio Connect on your new server (don't run the Setup Wizard and don't start the mailserver)
- use rsync to transfer your Kerio store directory to the new server. You don't need to stop the old mailserver while doing this, so no downtime.
- when ready to migrate, stop the mailserver service on the old server. Downtime starts here
- copy the configuration files to the new server and adjust them if necessary (as per the Knowledge Base article on migrating)
- do a final rsync of the store directory to the new server. This will only copy files that were changed or added during&since the previous rsync action
- you should now have an identical mailserver store on both servers
- start the mailserver service on the new server. Downtime ends here.
- ready!

This worked for me without any problems, and minimizes the downtime.
However, this is not the official procedure recommended by Kerio. If anyone sees problems in migrating this way using rsync, please comment!

Edit:
I checked my documentation for the rsync command I used. Rsync version was 2.6.8, transferring from Centos 5.4 to Centos 5.4.
On the NEW server, I used following command for the first transfer:
rsync -aHh --numeric-ids --stats root<_at_>my.old.server:/opt/kerio/mailserver/store /opt/kerio/mailserver/

And for the final transfer I used:
rsync -aHh --numeric-ids --delete --stats root<_at_>my.old.server:/opt/kerio/mailserver/store /opt/kerio/mailserver/

The --delete option will delete all files on the NEW server that were deleted on the OLD server since the first rsync transfer. Since I'm always cautious with anything that that says 'delete', make sure you have backups!

[Updated on: Tue, 05 October 2010 21:54]

•  
D3nis3

Thanks for the information, but I'm using Windows. The current server is 2003 and the new server is 2008.
  •  
D3nis3

I started my restore at 6:30am this morning and it is taking a very long time to restore. I noticed the kmsrecover checked the last Full zip files and are restoring from that, but I do not see where it is accessing the differential. Does anyone know if this is done after the full runs? Is it automatic or do I have to run kmsrecover again and specify the differential? The zip files are stored on the same disk\server as the store so I would think it would have been much quicker to restore this way. We are currently in a down state so I need to try to minimize the time it is taking to restore the data to a new server.

Thanks!
  •  
p0ddie

there is rsync for Windows, too.

Aside from that, using kmsrecover, what was the input you specified? Did you point to a particular F*********.zip file? If so, then only that full backup gets restored. If you point kmsrecover to the directory where all your backups are located, kmsrecover will automatically use the last full and the last incremental backups to restore to the latest version of the mailstore.
  •  
D3nis3

Thanks for the reply. I ran KMSRECOVER E:\kmsback -v which is the folder where the backup files are located. I did a test a week ago with restoring the full backup files from the previous week and it only took about 4 hrs. I don't understand why this time (when it actually counts and needs to move quickly) it is requiring more time to extract and restore. I have a brand new server with a mirrored OS 146GB 15K, 3Gps SAS drives and a RAID 10 store of 6 450GB 15k, 6Gps SAS drives restoring a 200GB store. At the rate it is going I'm looking at midnight before I can turn on any email services.
  •  
blturner

I did a migration like this about 6 months ago. And this all sounds familiar. I think you can just grab the last incremental from the old server and restore it to the new server. that means that you don't need to take the old server down until after the final incremental backup. That one should restore quickly.

The trouble is I don't recall the exact steps and I can't recommend following this advice if your server is down right now.

But I can say that I called tech support during my migration because I ended up with a few corrupt indexes and they were a dream to talk to. I would suggest getting them on the phone.

And I HATE HATE HATE calling tech support. Kerio is one of the few exceptions.

Brian
  •  
D3nis3

I did call them...and they said that I had to restore the Full & diff at the same time, so that meant taking the server down. They really didn't have any explanation or recommendations for me, but advised me to continue monitoring the logs for any errors. By my math we have about an hour and half left before it is done. So that means 200GB store that began at 06:00 took 12 hours...

Thanks for the advice though. I just wish it would get done already so I can get some rest and stop anticipating what is going to happen next...
Previous Topic: **double post delete plz**
Next Topic: No NTML?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 23:18:37 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00476 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.