Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Understanding of Client/TCP Ports/Samba/WebDAV
  •  
EdRoxter

Send a private message to this user
Hey there,

I've got 3 issues/questions.

1) For my own understanding of the Workspace Client and thoughts about a possible integration into our infrastructure: Who connects to who when, for example, editing a document on desktop? Workspace Server to Client or vice versa? I'm asking because I have some coworkers working from home and having a router with NAT - so if the Client opens a port listening to commands from the server, that obviously wouldn't work. Or is there any holepunching mechanism?

2) If I change the ports in the Administration Interface, this has no effect, though my configuration is saved in workspace-config.xml. Catalina throws an error saying that it can't bind to the port specified which leads me to the conclusion that it tries to listen on ports 80 and 443 which are already bound. If I change the ports manually in tomcat/conf/catalina.properties, it'll work fine. Of course, I restartet the kerio-workspace-application after every change. Has anyone else this problem? If so, might it be a bug?

3) Will there be a Samba and/or WebDAV backend for documents uploaded?

Regards
Nico

[Updated on: Thu, 07 October 2010 11:22]

•  
stk_jj

EdRoxter wrote on Thu, 07 October 2010 11:18

1) For my own understanding of the Workspace Client and thoughts about a possible integration into our infrastructure: Who connects to who when, for example, editing a document on desktop? Workspace Server to Client or vice versa? I'm asking because I have some coworkers working from home and having a router with NAT - so if the Client opens a port listening to commands from the server, that obviously wouldn't work. Or is there any holepunching mechanism?

you should setup a VPN-connection for this. Especially for security reasons!
  •  
Jarda Snajdr (Kerio)

Hello Ed,

1) It's always the client who connect to the server, not vice versa. Standard HTTP or HTTPS connection is used. If you can connect to the Web interface from a browser, you can use the client without any further firewall setup.

2) This might be a bug.

3) There is no backend at this moment that would allow to access file libraries as a file system.

Jarda Snajdr
Workspace Team Leader
  •  
EdRoxter

Dear Jarda,

thanks for your answer. Great way of solving this, I'm really looking forward to the final product.

Is there any information about possible pricing available yet?

Regards
Nico
  •  
chrwei

I am also interesting in possible pricing. I'm very hesitant to even try the beta in fear that we'll have to ditch it later due to cost issues. Even something ballpark would be nice, like "half to equal Connect's pricing" or something
  •  
EdRoxter

Sorry to pull this old thread up again, but the only thing that holds me away from considering Workspace for our company (and I'd love to use it since we're very content with Connect) is indeed the missing connectivity for protocols such as WebDAV, FTP or CIFS.

Have you Kerio guys considered building something with Alfresco's AIFS on top of your file backend? That'd be most awesome!
  •  
Jarda Snajdr (Kerio)

Hello Ed,

we'd like to support as many methods for accessing files as possible. I agree that access using WebDAV or CIFS would be a great thing.

If Workspace data structure was in principle just a huge filesystem hierarchy with a fancy Web frontend, providing access through various network filesystem protocols would be easy and natural.

However, Workspace is something quite different. The basic building block is a Web page. The page has a multi-column layout and contains various components. File or a file library is just one of many types of information you can put on a page. There can be any number of file libraries on a single page.

How to map this structure to a NFS filesystem hierarchy? We don't have a satisfactory answer to that. Should each file library be an isolated filesystem root? That would probably create a seriously fragmented mess in many deployments. Have a single huge directory tree for the whole Workspace, with pseudo-directories for every space, page and component? I'm afraid that would create unwieldy hierarchies with many levels of subdirectories, not easy to navigate.

If you have any thoughts about how exactly should the NFS access to Workspace structure look like, or if your Workspace structure is organized in such a way where NFS mapping is easy and natural, please let us know.

Jarda
Previous Topic: Release Candidate!?
Next Topic: Quota per user
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 00:38:17 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00409 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.