Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook 2010 very slow with KOFF (Outlook 2010 very slow with KOFF)
  •  
mtl

Send a private message to this user
I am using Kerio Connect 7.1.0 patch 1 on a Windows 2003 server machine. Recently I updated my Office programs to Microsoft Office 2010.

My experience is that Outlook 2010 en KOFF work very slow together. When I load my calender (size 5053kb), it can take a few minutes to load/think for Outlook. Furthermore Outlook can sometimes 'think' for a few minutes with no reason. Some mailboxes are large (over 8GB).

Is this a know issue? Is it the size of the mailbox? Does somebody have tips?

Many thanks in advance!
  •  
TorW

Smells like your disk system can't keep up with the activity. Fire up perfmon.exe on the 2003 server and take a look at the "Avg. Disk Queue Length" and "Page Faults/sec" counters while you're having trouble. If you're seeing a graph constantly in the ceiling with just the occasional dip, your disk system simply isn't fast enough for Kerio Connect.
  •  
james.wti

I too have seen this issue with Outlook 2010. We're running Connect 7.0.2 on a CentOS box running on an HP server with 10k SAS drives (mirrored). We have a total of three regular users and one or two occasionals, so I'm pretty sure it's not a performance issue on the server. The server itself seems to be running fine.
I've also noticed that enabling the 'Conversations' view makes performance even worse. I turned it on when I first upgraded to 2010 to check it out, but turned it off shortly thereafter because of the performance.
  •  
mtl

I tested the performance of the server, and that is doing fine. So the disk system does not seem to be the problem.

The conversations view doesn't work fine indeed. It is really slow then! But even in regular view I do have performance issues.

Some more tips? Other experiences?
  •  
Pavel Dostal (Kerio)

Conversation view is not supported by KOFF (in fact it is not working at all)

We don't have noticed any special performance issues with OL2010. Nevertheless we don't have such large mailboxes. Do you have enough memory for KOFF?

Pavel Dostal
Kerio Technologies
  •  
mtl

What do you mean with memory? Which memory? Internal memory? Hard drive? Etc..
Thanks in advance!
  •  
james.wti

I have 6 GB of RAM in my workstation. I normally have upwards of 2 GB free at any given time (unless I'm running a bunch of VMs).
My mailbox is just under 1 GB (~900 MB). Some of my customers (I'm a reseller) have mailboxes of 2-3 GB or more on their Exchange servers, so if mailbox size has that large of an effect on performance, that will be a major factor in our ability to convert them from Exchange to Kerio.
  •  
mtl

I don't see what exchange has to do with my problem...
Anyway, I have 4GB of internal memory so that shouldn't be the problem!
  •  
james.wti

My response wasn't directed at you mtl, it was directed at Pavel. Sorry for the confusion.
  •  
Pavel Dostal (Kerio)

I mean RAM. 6GB is really enough, however there are many PCs out there with 512 MB RAM and KOFF can take several hundreds of MB with larger mailbox.

8 GB mailbox is large mailbox. Most of our mailboxes are around 1 GB, several of them are up to 4 GB. Nevertheless size is not so important, it is mostly about number of messages.

Pavel Dostal
Kerio Technologies
  •  
james.wti

I have roughly 2,000 items just in my inbox. Not sure about the entire mailbox. Most of the time the speed seems okay, it's just that periodically Outlook will just freeze up for 10-20 seconds and not do anything. Afterwards it starts working normally again. This happens maybe a few times a day. It's just odd that it didn't start happening till I updated to Outlook 2010.
  •  
Pavel Dostal (Kerio)

Well, 2,000 messages is nothing. Problem is with folders with more than 50,000 messages and mailboxes with more such folders (or large number of folders - KOFF can't handle 1500+ folders in single mailbox very well)

It is possible that such short freeze is due to KOFF, nevertheless it can be just OL2010 issue.

Several minutes long delay when opening a folder is different issue. It surely happen when Conversation view is on, however it shouldn't occurs in Calendar. It can be caused by some damaged configuration from previous Outlook version. Try "outlook /clearview" in command line, it should remove any saved view.

Pavel Dostal
Kerio Technologies
  •  
mtl

It is strange indeed and I have really no idea what it can be. On this computer no previous version from outlook was installed, so that shouldn't be the problem. The size might be the problem. It are large mailboxes...

Somebody has another idea?
  •  
Lyle M

Your first post says your calendar is 5MB. Is that about 4k events? Have you tried archiving old events to a secondary calendar to see if performance improves on the primary?
  •  
mtl

I also tested it with a new account (without messages) and even then it is slow...
So the mailbox size doesn't seem to be the problem.
Other suggestions?
Previous Topic: forwarding from wedmail to multiple people
Next Topic: Schedule-Based Auto Repsonse
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 08:37:21 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00473 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.