Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Problems sending to specific mailserver
  •  
antoineg

Send a private message to this user
Hi!

I am having problems sending e-mail to users at a particular mail server.

Featured prominently on the homepage of the target server's website is the following:

[We] will no longer accept emails from systems or ISPs (Internet Service Providers) that do not have proper PTRs (point to records) in there DNS (Domain name server) records. This is a very important detail to successful Spam filtering. If you miss any legitimate emails, please inform the email sender to check with their ISP to ensure they have proper PTR's.

So I had the ISP that controls my DNS records to go ahead and add PTRs to the two mail domains I have running under Kerio.

Still no luck.

The specific message I get back when I get a bounce is:

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.smalliron.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 16:48:25 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822; person<at>targetdomain.com
Action: failure
Remote-MTA: smtp<at>targetdomain.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; Message size exceeded server limit[/face]

My first thought was to search these forums and someone suggested that maybe there was a rollover/integer problem with the way Kerio reports or retrieves message size information.

My second thought was this: In SMTP Properties I have "Deliver directly using DNS MX Records" checked. I checked out a couple e-mails, one sent from smalliron.com and one sent from another corporate e-mail domain I have access to and there is a difference in where the message appears from:

[smalliron.com sending to smalliron.com]
Return-Path: <anthonys<at>smalliron.com>
X-Envelope-To: anthonys<at>smalliron.com
Received: from BEAR2
([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx])
(authenticated user anthonys)
by mail.smalliron.com (Kerio MailServer 5.1.6)
for anthonys<at>smalliron.com;
Thu, 13 May 2004 17:16:48 -0700
Reply-To: <anthonys<at>smalliron.com>
To: <anthonys<at>smalliron.com>
Subject: Test2
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:22:04 -0700
Organization: My Corporation Inc.
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00F0_01C4390E.D9627410"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510
Thread-Index: AcQ5SXv3dunBdrqrSuy735G9OZYlAA==
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1409

[corporatedomain.com sending to smalliron.com]
Return-Path: <anthonys<at>corporatedomain.com>
X-Envelope-To: anthonys<at>smalliron.com
Received: from smtp.corporatedomain.com
([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx])
by mail.smalliron.com (Kerio MailServer 5.1.6)
for anthonys<at>smalliron.com;
Thu, 13 May 2004 17:36:08 -0700
Received: from BEAR2 ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by smtp.corporatedomain.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
Thu, 13 May 2004 17:36:27 -0700
Reply-To: <anthonys<at>corporatedomain.com>
From: "Anthony Stevens" <anthonys<at>corporatedomain.com>
To: <anthonys<at>smalliron.com>
Subject: Test3
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:41:19 -0700
Organization: Other Corporation Inc.
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0125_01C43911.7FF70960"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510
Thread-Index: AcQ5TCwTNIk+aqWKSo26bgHqw14ipA==
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1409
Return-Path: anthonys<at>corporatedomain.com
Message-ID: <smtpnnx1tso7IXA000000822<at>smtp.corporatedomain.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 14 May 2004 00:36:27.0188 (UTC) FILETIME=[7DF6E740:01C4394B]

My thinking being that the message from corporatedomain appears to be sent from corporatedomain.com's IP address, whereas the message from mydomain appears to be sent from my local desktop computer's IP address, which is assigned by comcast as part of my cable modem service.

Would this affect PTR records and reverse-lookup? I.e. could the remote SMTP server that I'm having problems with be looking at the IP address of my local computer (BEAR2) and checking that against the e-mail domain of the sender (mail.smalliron.com) and deciding that there is no valid PTR in the DNS record?

I'm not totally clear on how SMTP reverse-lookup works, but since every other domain I send to has no issues, I'm guessing that it is still a PTR issue and not a message size misreporting issue.

Thanks for any support and help.

Anthony Stevens
anthonys<at>smalliron.com

[Updated on: Fri, 14 May 2004 22:33]

•  
RHarmsen.nl

Are your realy sure it has to do with dns?

cause:
Quote:

Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; Message size exceeded server limit

•  
antoineg

Well, considering that the problem:

-- occurs for messages with no body text at all
-- is coming back from two different target domains that are both hosted under the same ISP, using the same mailserver
-- only started when this target domain put in their antispam PTR reverse lookup
-- is not being reported by any other domain

I guess my hunch is "yeah, it's probably DNS related". I think it's more likely that someone would have definitively ruled out size problems to this domain long before I started trying to send e-mail there.

OTOH, any suggestions about the size of the messages, or interpreting the size of the messages, will also be appreciated!

Thanks!

a
  •  
antoineg

I did a little more checking around and the PTR record actually appears to be correct for the IP address of the mail server:

222.169.202.207.in-addr.arpa IN PTR mail.smalliron.com 86398s (23h 59m 58s)

I'm then back to my original question: If I'v checked Kerio such that I am "delivering directly using DNS MX", and the target SMTP server is seeing my local computer's IP address rather than the e-mail server's, shouldn't I still theoretically run into a PTR problem?

Thanks

a
  •  
antoineg

The e-mail administrator of the target domain reported the following log info:

<<< 220 mxgate-01.otherdomain.com ModusGate ESMTP Receiver Version 3.1.293.1 Ready
>>> EHLO mail.smalliron.com
<<< 250-mxgate-01.otherdomain.com
250-SIZE 8388608000
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-X-IMS 5 108
250-DSN
250-VRFY
250 8BITMIME
>>> QUIT

He says:

It's clearly bombing out just before the message would be transmitted, but there isn't any error generated on our servers. It looks to me as if your mail server is misinterpreting the size parameter specified after the hello and returning the bounce message your users see.

Can anyone comment on whether the SIZE value indicated above should cause a problem with Kerio Mail Server 5.1.6?

Thanks in advance,

a
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

antoineg wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 21:02

The e-mail administrator of the target domain reported the following log info:

<<< 220 mxgate-01.otherdomain.com ModusGate ESMTP Receiver Version 3.1.293.1 Ready
>>> EHLO mail.smalliron.com
<<< 250-mxgate-01.otherdomain.com
250-SIZE 8388608000
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-X-IMS 5 108
250-DSN
250-VRFY
250 8BITMIME
>>> QUIT

He says:

It's clearly bombing out just before the message would be transmitted, but there isn't any error generated on our servers. It looks to me as if your mail server is misinterpreting the size parameter specified after the hello and returning the bounce message your users see.

Can anyone comment on whether the SIZE value indicated above should cause a problem with Kerio Mail Server 5.1.6?

Thanks in advance,

a

SIZE must be less than 4GB. KMS cannot handle such large SIZE.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
Previous Topic: Account lockout
Next Topic: easy method for list moderator to subscribe people?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 05:45:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00362 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.