Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Operator » FAX support
  •  
gmaoret

Send a private message to this user
There is a plan for FAX support in Kerio Operator?
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

We have no special FAX support in 1.0. From our experience, fax should work reasonably well if you set G.711 as the preferred codec. Your mileage may vary though, there are factors like the internet connection quality and utilization.

Vladimir
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

In the future, we plan to improve the fax support, I should add.

V.
  •  
pal

Is there a software Fax (like HylaFAX) planed?
  •  
Vladimir Toncar (Kerio)

Hi,

No plans for software fax so far.

Vladimir
  •  
pal

Thanks for your reply!
  •  
88fingerslukee

Sorry for resurrecting a year-old thread, but we are currently using Hylafax to receive faxes. How would I go about implementing this with Kerio Operator...assuming that I won't have any analog lines to hook the modem up to? Will I need an extra piece of hardware?

Is there some guide/documentation for this?

thanks!
  •  
  •  
grazman

ive always found g711 problematic. you should look for t.38 capable providers which will always work better.
  •  
88fingerslukee

grazman wrote on Tue, 03 January 2012 09:20
ive always found g711 problematic. you should look for t.38 capable providers which will always work better.

Problematic how? What was your hardware setup? Can you please elaborate on your experiences? Posts like this are hardly useful.
  •  
grazman

G711 is not supported by any ITSP, If your gateway is analog or PRI, you should use an adapter that allows the local segment to travel using t.38. I think its a well known fact that t.38 was developed to alleviate disconnects and failed faxes via sip over "any" other codec.

I think most ITSP's will say "you can use g711 for faxes, but your maileage may vary". If you have any issues with your lan g711 will not recover and the fax will fail.

I think t.38 is the best option for fax over sip even if it is not a sip trunk. t.38 is considered the best practice for fax when using sip.

"Using T.38 fax relay for fax-over-IP transmission is technically a more robust method of faxing and works better than other methods where available. But it is not available on all networks and to all endpoints, so fax passthrough (or fax through G.711) is still widely used because it interoperates easier and with more endpoints. If your provider offers T.38, investigate if failover to G.711 fax is offered as a secondary call negotiation service to connect calls to destinations that may not yet support T.38. Consider keeping fax on TDM trunks for a while longer if faxing is a critical part of your business."

We have deployed fax over g711 with many carriers and had less than acceptable results, and t.38 with as many. We find that the adoption rate with carriers for t.38 is gaining momentum, for a reason. It is more robust and is designed to "work", especially when there is any latency that would normally disconnect a fax when using a voice optimized codec.

We use siptrunks with t.38 compatible providers or PRI/analog gateways with t.38 enabled (usually Patton gateways). We register the fax machines as extensions and the DID number maps the fax call to the fax machine.
  •  
grazman

Sorry, we also use the multitech fax finder on the network to handle paperless inbound fax and desktop (paperless) outbound faxing by plugging the analog connections to a properly configured FXS port (multitech is fxo).
  •  
88fingerslukee

Now THIS is excellent info. Thank you very much!

Do you have any experience hooking up Hylafax to a SIP trunk? In order to do it with t.38 it appears one needs to utilize the t38modem program.
  •  
grazman

ive tried and failed too many times with t38modem on hylafax. the only working ones out there are commercial so I decided to but a non-t.38 appliance and just put it on the network. this way if the providers aren't really t.38 i can revert to analog without spending more money or changing the network.

truthfully, kerio is a recent vendor we've been testing. we've deployed this many times with pbx's that receive faxes paperless (at the pbx) and email out as pdfs.

•  
88fingerslukee

Yeah, the inclusion of a fax-to-email/email-to-fax service for Operator would be awesome.

As a recommendation to somebody considering Kerio and also using Hylafax, what would be your suggestion? PAP2T + analog modem?
Previous Topic: pfSense 2.0 + Snom Auto provisioning
Next Topic: Hardware Recommendations
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 05:03:43 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00538 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.