Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Unable to access local network from VPN client
  •  
nsideras

Send a private message to this user
Hello all,

i have a windows 2000 server(1 network adapter) and 5 PCs in a network with IPs 10.0.0.X/255.255.255.0 (in workgroup).

All PCs/server access internet through a router at 10.0.0.138
Common settings for all PCs are Gateway 10.0.0.138 and DNS 10.0.0.138

I have installed Kerio VPN on the server (10.0.0.1 physical adapter/Kerio adapter has automatic settings).

I successfuly connect to the VPN from home (VPN Server gives an IP like 10.0.10.X).

I can successfuly ping Server (10.0.0.1) from home but cannot access any other PC in the network.

P.S: I have only made a custom route in the VPN server 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 and i think this gives me access to 10.0.0.1 at least from home.

Thank you very much.
Nick

•  
KCAP

Hi,
The Kerio server is normally placed between network and internet, so all workstations have the ip of the firewall as gateway,
you are bypassing it,

If you only want to use it for vpn i think there are beter / simple / cheaper solutions to find.

Teun
KCAP [NL]
  •  
nsideras

kcap wrote on Fri, 29 October 2010 09:16
Hi,
The Kerio server is normally placed between network and internet, so all workstations have the ip of the firewall as gateway,
you are bypassing it,

If you only want to use it for vpn i think there are beter / simple / cheaper solutions to find.

You mean that if i connect all my pcs to the internet through Kerio Server I will have access to all of them? That's the only way?

ATM we are testing softwares.

Thank you very much for your reply!

[Updated on: Fri, 29 October 2010 11:03]

•  
KCAP

That is the kerio firewall server, it is a firewall for your total network, your modem/router will do nothing after that except letting internet trough.

Teun
KCAP [NL]
  •  
ICT and Me

Yes, KCAP is right.
Kerio Control is and will be a Firewall/Proxy.
This mean that the system with Control must be between Trusted (LAN) and Untrusted (WAN - Internet).
All traffic from the LAN goes to the gateway. And if control isn't the gateway (what it should) then it's not working.
Place control between your LAN and Internet and it's working.
Just take a simple system with at least P4 CPU and minimal 1 GB Memory and at least two NIC's. Put there Kerio Control Appliance on. And find out how good your VPN works and how well protected your LAN will be.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
nsideras

got it working but clients in the local network don't have internet access. any ideas please?
  •  
ICT and Me

Do you have set on the clients that Kerio Control is also a DNS server. Or are the clients still do their DNS request against the Router.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
nsideras

i am using the DNS and the DCHP of Win 2000. I have disabled these features from Kerio so they don't conflict.
but all clients have the Gateway and DNS the IP of my server
  •  
ICT and Me

What are the DNS IP number where your server is searching?
I hope to the router. Otherwise the internet DNS request can't be searched outside.

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
KCAP

Hi,

- Firewall rules must also be set good. (the standard after installing is a good starting point)
- Secondly i would put a second NIC in your server, this makes it a lot better and secure. 1 Nic for all internall and one nic to your modem.

Teun
KCAP [NL]
Previous Topic: Need help - error 530
Next Topic: need an answer!!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 21:30:01 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00442 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.