Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 5.7.8 doesn’t send via SMTP
  •  
TTBob

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I’ve recently installed the KMS 5.7.8 on a fileserver in a windows 2000 workgroup network. The firewall is nor running on this pc, the internet connection is established by a DSL modem. I have no chance to connect to any SMTP server.
What I don’t understand is the following:

- Kerio Firewall doesn’t say neither of a dropped packet nor of anything filtered
- If I try to connect to a SMTP via “telnet smtp.eunet.at 25” it is no problem.
- If I use Outlook Express without KMS on the same PC it’s also no problem to connect to SMTP servers

This is going on at KMS:

- SMTP Server is running on port 25
- The mails go to the Mail Queue and then to Delivery Tasks, but they never reach their target. I always get the following error message

This is an informative message sent by Kerio MailServer 5.7.8 at Server. The server was not able to deliver your mail message to the following addresses:

<xxxxxx<at>gmx.at> (mx0.gmx.de: 451 4.3.0 {mx055} Failed: code 54)

As far as I think it is not a problem of user authentification as all mails are delivered to KMS.

The only alternative to me is, to send mails directly via Outlook SMTP and not through the Mail server, but that’s not what I want.

I’m a little bit helpless and have no idea what to try :-(

If any one has an idea, please help...

TTBob
  •  
sidbarker

Hi there,
Looks to me like you have the SMTP to send directly to the destination server rather than through your ISP. So, you are reliant on your DNS settings being correct and effective.

Go to a DOS prompt, and type
NSLOOKUP

set type=mx
destinationdomain.com

after this (substituting destinationdomain.com for the real destination email domain), you should come up with a list of domains and addresses. If this fails, then you have a DNS issue.

If it does work, then it might be that your IP is in a blacklist of some sort and they won't accept mail directly from your address. Hence Outlook Express working, and your telnet to your ISP's SMTP server.

Of course, you could set the SMTP server to send emails directly to your own ISP's SMTP server and let them send it on for you.
  •  
TTBob

First of all, thanks for your answer.

You are right; I try to send directly using mx record. This is because we have different domains and therefore I'm not able to send over a certain smtp.

I tried what you said, and the results where good. I received all the information which seem to be necessary to send an email. DNS records, MX records and some other stuff was reported.

In addition I tried the command netstat which should show all the connections on the pc and the result was, that during KMS is trying to send an email a connection to mx.gmx.de (for example) is established.

So the damn KMS gets the DNS entry, it gets out of the local network, it establishes a connection to the relay server, but it doesn't send the mail. If I type in a wrong email of an existing domain it also tells me that the user is unknown. There must be a working connection between my server and the opposite one.

The error Message is always: 10054 An established connection was closed by the remote host.

You said that it is maybe a problem with a blacklist entry. How can I verify that?

How can you set the smtp server of your ISP to accept mails from different accounts of the same domain? If you have the user office<at>yourdomain.com, info<at>yourdomain.com,... for all of these users there is one smtp server but with different user login and pw.

I hope to ever solve this...

[Updated on: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:07]

•  
sidbarker

ISPs often let you send email with a from address of your own, if you are sending from one of their IP addresses (so they know you are a customer and can trace you if required).
Also, sometimes you can turn on SMTP authentication to let you do this also.
Will have to ask the ISP i'm afraid.

As for blacklisting... you'll have to check with the destination domain... and each destination domain could be using different blacklists (there is a section in KMS to use these blacklists yourself).

Good luck
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

You could try sending an eMail to my domain see if it gets delivered.
or try sending to an account on Hotmail thats you own (or Yahoo, or whatever you like)

Good Luck
  •  
jshaw541

Could you paste more of the error message? You only emailed the top part of it and it would help to see the other stuff, too.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
TTBob

Hi,

as soon as I'm back in the office I will serve you with more error messages; should be on monday.

thx

TTbob
Previous Topic: How do you tell KMS to use a particular DNS?
Next Topic: antivirus update problems!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 16:45:24 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00473 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.