Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Best Server Raid Configuration
  •  
mwheeler

Send a private message to this user
We're currently using 7.02 and I'm going to be moving it from the existing 2003 32bit server to a different 2008 64bit server. The newer server has dual quad core E5420's, 12g, and all 15K SAS drives. I'm looking for input on the hardware raid configuration based on experience and design of the Kerio Connect database structure. My options are:

1. Raid-1 for OS with Raid-1 for Database
2. Raid-1 for OS with Raid-10 for Database
3. Single Raid-10 volume for OS and Database

Typically we use option #2 when using SQL for the DB. We have about 100 users with about 25 using KOC, 15 using Webmail on shared workstations and the rest using Outlook with POP/SMTP. I plan on eventually moving all Outlook users to KOC ( Although I keep hoping for Kerio to change to PST for the DB). Have 12 users syncing Windows mobile devices and a couple of Ipads. Considering switching about 75 phone users to Blackberry platform and installing BES. I try to get three years out of a server but don't want to over design it if the software won't use it.

Thanks,

Mike

•  
My IT Indy

How many users? That server sounds like major overkill on the CPU and ram.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
mwheeler

I figured as much on the processors and memory but I picked up some year old Poweredge 2900's with that configuration for $1700ea. I listed the users in the original post. I'm mainly looking for input on the raid and whether Kerio runs more efficient if the DB is on a seperate array. Some software seems to like being on the same array as the OS.
  •  
id t

Go for RAID1+0 for store and 2 disks in RAID1 for OS. You didn't mention how big is your store, for comparison I have 153 users, 700GB store (over 4 milions files!). I recently moved from XSan on Promise (RAID5 of 1TB SATA 7200rpm disks) via FC to SAS expansion chassis loaded with 600GB, 15k rpm SAS disks, connected to an ESX host and presented as RDM to an ubuntu (4G, 2cores) VM. The difference in speed is simply jaw-dropping!
Previous Topic: howto restore flags information
Next Topic: Sharing single calendar
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 20:50:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00448 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.