Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Plus sign in email address
  •  
kuluvalley

Send a private message to this user
Hi

A really useful feature of Gmail is the ability to use email addresses in the form:

joe+1<_at_>example.com

Which gets delivered to joe<_at_>example.com

Can Kerio Connect be configured to allow this format? It is a valid email address according to the RFC but I get an error when trying to send to Kerio in this format.

Thanks,
KV
  •  
marook

But why?
To avoid spam? If it get's delivered anyway, why all the workaround - why not simply use the correct address???????

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
kuluvalley

Hi

It's useful if you want to sign up for say multiple twitter/facebook accounts using the same email address. Also you can use joe+junk<_at_>example.com to register for something and then just junk anything coming to that email address.

Seeing as it's in the email spec I would have thought that it should be honoured...?

Thanks,
Rob
  •  
frankxs

kuluvalley wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 12:03
Hi

A really useful feature of Gmail is the ability to use email addresses in the form:

joe+1<_at_>example.com

Which gets delivered to joe<_at_>example.com

Can Kerio Connect be configured to allow this format? It is a valid email address according to the RFC but I get an error when trying to send to Kerio in this format.

Thanks,
KV

Are you sure you're not talking about using "+" in the mail account userID? Rather than as an actual email address?

-Frank
  •  
winkelman

kuluvalley wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 17:09
Hi

It's useful if you want to sign up for say multiple twitter/facebook accounts using the same email address. Also you can use joe+junk<_at_>example.com to register for something and then just junk anything coming to that email address.

Seeing as it's in the email spec I would have thought that it should be honoured...?

Thanks,
Rob

That is interesting. I used to set up all kinds of aliases to be able to track what companies where doing with my email address. If I suddenly started receiving spam on an address (alias) I gave to a company that promised to 'only use it themselves and not sell it', this was a good indication there where either lying and selling their email list or they were negligent with securing my info... Also, using the alias it was pretty easy to cut them off, by simply removing the alias.

I never knew there was a built-in mechanism for this in the email spec by using the + sign. Are you sure this is part of an 'official' RFC and not just something Google made up for their platform?

And sure: if it's in the RFC, then essentially Kerio should allow it... Unless there is a very good reason not to.
  •  
kuluvalley

Hi

Yeah looks like it's in the spec but not all mails systems adhere to it:

Look for "Address Tags" in the Wikipedia article on Email Address

Shame really. Still, Kerio could step up to the mark Smile
  •  
dmesser

The 'plus' email address variant would be so useful. I'm very surprised Kerio doesn't allow it.
  •  
YesThatAllen

All - Kerio plus addressing is possible, just create an alias:

forum* deliver to forum<_at_>yourdomain.com

-Allen Hancock

Allen Hancock
  •  
macjedi

But that's not the point. The user can do this ad hoc anyway they want. No alias account setup required which means less work for me.

Kerio, please support this ASAP. It's in the RFC.
  •  
WolfAba

YesThatAllen wrote on Sun, 16 March 2014 22:43
All - Kerio plus addressing is possible, just create an alias:

forum* deliver to forum<_at_>yourdomain.com

-Allen Hancock

No for Admins is normal, that normal user gets Admin permissions to setup own aliases. Without Admin access, I cannot set any aliases.

And as Admin, I don't want to create WILD card aliases for my XXX users: to much work for nothing and possible spam risk, if the spammers guess mail address.

"+" is simple solution for the people they want it. RFC5233

Regards,

Robert Wolf.
Previous Topic: Message rejected as phishing spam interne Accounts
Next Topic: LDAP connection error happens randomly after 9.2.3 installed
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 05:05:35 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00447 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.