Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » storage architecture characteristics
  •  
mbox

Send a private message to this user
What are the characteristics of Kerio Workspace's storage architecture? For example...

- What database does it use? (Apache Derby?)

- Could I place its database on a network share on our (regularly backed up and DFS replicated) Windows file server? Do the database and application layer need to be installed on the same system?

- Does it permit replication of documents between remote sites for fast local access? We currently use Windows DFS shares to synchronize documents between remote sites connected via a slow WAN.

- Are documents stored as regular files on the file system (like Kerio Connect's mail store) or as BLOBS in an SQL database? If the former, what conventions for naming and NTFS permissions are used? Is it ever permitted to write to these files directly, completely bypassing Kerio Workspace? or does Kerio Workspace "own" the files?
  •  
Jarda Snajdr (Kerio)

Hello mbox,

- we use Apache Derby.

- database cannot be on a network filesystem. It would get corrupted very soon if the FS was not local. Virtually all SQL databases require the db files to be on a local FS.

- we don't support replication between sites at this moment. You can have only one central server.

- documents are stored as local files on the FS. In the workspace-data/files directory. There are 100 subdirectories (00-99) and files have numeric names corresponding to their IDs in the SQL database tables. It's not permitted to write to these files directly. We plan to publish a Data Access API that will let users to read and write data in the store remotely, using JSON-RPC and HTTP.

Jarda
  •  
Pyromeral

When I see the file system, I have immediately something in mind: in case of a disk crash, or a migration to another file management system, you should provide a tool to restore the real file names with a simple hierarchy between folders and files.
The technologies used are very good, but today, this file system is a concern just because of the obfuscation of the real file names which ties me to your system only, and I don't like that. It is matter of trust and reliability. And in 10 years, I would like to be free to look at something else. So today, I may use workspace only for non critical files which is a pity.
  •  
mbox

Thanks. Although I'd like to move closer to a wiki or real document management system, I'm a little hesistant to move away from DFS for document storage. It provides replication and local caching, and users can directly access the files via Windows Explorer. Moreover, we have historical backups and a custom script that monitors changes in the files and e-mails reports of who changed files when, which provides rudimentary (though imperfect) version control. Running an external document indexer with web-based search would also be possible.

BTW, a textual mapping between IDs and real names, allowing read-only processing of the document store by your own shell scripts, could be as simple as periodically dumping a manifest file or writting a log file, or maybe a full textual dump of the database (e.g. like mysqldump if Derby has that).
Previous Topic: Workspace and Connect on same server, cant send Workspace email nofifications
Next Topic: [wish-list] Need comments moderation
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 18:05:07 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00399 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.