Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS for home/personal use
  •  
Jeroen

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

What's the reason Kerio doesn't support home or personal users? Come on, I don't believe that every one on this forum paid almost 500 dollars for their copy! It's just way too much for a home user.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a version with a home user license that, for example, supports 5 or 10 users and lacks some other functions a home user doesn't need? I guess a price around 75-100 dollars would be the maximum.

I know a lot of people are using fake licenses, but come on: the price is way too high for most of us. Kerio is a great mailserver, but way too expensive.

I'd like to hear any reactions, also from the Kerio guys! What's their policy on hacked versions? I wouldn't feel that comfortable using it, but with those prices ... well?!
  •  
jshaw541

Jeroen wrote on Sat, 22 May 2004 13:21

Hi,

What's the reason Kerio doesn't support home or personal users? Come on, I don't believe that every one on this forum paid almost 500 dollars for their copy! It's just way too much for a home user.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a version with a home user license that, for example, supports 5 or 10 users and lacks some other functions a home user doesn't need? I guess a price around 75-100 dollars would be the maximum.

I know a lot of people are using fake licenses, but come on: the price is way too high for most of us. Kerio is a great mailserver, but way too expensive.

I'd like to hear any reactions, also from the Kerio guys! What's their policy on hacked versions? I wouldn't feel that comfortable using it, but with those prices ... well?!

I'd love a home version, too. Unfortunately, I have about 15 users on my home server, and that usually goes beyond "home licenses", even though its just a bunch of my friends talking with their relatives.

I would guess that they'd uh frown upon hacked versions ;) If they wanted people using it for free, I reckon they'd just release a free version.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

jshaw541 wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 16:45

Hi,

I'd love a home version, too. Unfortunately, I have about 15 users on my home server, and that usually goes beyond "home licenses", even though its just a bunch of my friends talking with their relatives.

I would guess that they'd uh frown upon hacked versions Wink If they wanted people using it for free, I reckon they'd just release a free version.

That's right, we do not tolerate such things.
Unauthorized use of our programs, may result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.

There is a plenty of other software (even freeware) that you can use. If you can't buy it, just don't use it.

Our main products are intended for deployment in corporate networks, minimum license is 10 or 20 users.

•  
piznut

Let's extrapolate your message to, well, basically any other industry. I chose excavation equipment.

----------------------------------

Hi,

What's the reason Caterpillar doesn't support home or personal users? I would like to use one of your enormous industrial grade Excavators to dig holes in my garden to plant flowers, shrubs and the like. I don't believe that every one on this forum paid almost 75,000 dollars for their Caterpillar! It's just way too much for a home user.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a version with a smaller bucket that, for example, only digs 4 ft. deep holes and can only lift a couple hundred lbs of dirt? I guess a price around 500 dollars would be the maximum.

I know a lot of people are just stealing Caterpillar Excavators from the dealer in the night, but come on: the price is way too high for most of us. The Caterpillar 214b is a great excavator, but way too expensive.

I'd like to hear any reactions, also from the Caterpillar guys! What's their policy on stolen excavators?? I wouldn't feel that comfortable stealing one, but those with prices??

----------------------
Sounds really silly doesnt it?

My point is this...

If you need to dig a small hole, use a shovel.

•  
jshaw541

Come on, I don't believe that every one on this forum paid almost 500 dollars for their copy! It's just way too much for a home user.

Who said any of us were home users? :-) I think most everyone here is an office/corporate/ISP person. And you're right, I didn't pay $500. I paid multiple thousands of dollars for a couple thousand user license ;-).

A smaller KMS version might be nice, but as was stated above by the Kerio guy, their focus is the business market. And with how long KMS 6 has seemingly been delayed (sorry, had to), I'd rather they focus as much energy as they can into KMS.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
Previous Topic: Question about kerio mailserver
Next Topic: SMTP problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 19:52:33 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00381 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.