Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Apple Mail Sent Items folder often changes
  •  
ebatte

Send a private message to this user
Another Apple Mail problem: periodically, the Sent Items folder used will change to a local folder rather than the folder on the server. How can I prevent this from happening. It seems like it happens about every month or so.

Thanks,
Eric
  •  
id t

Hi

we add this problem a lot last year. What happens is, if your mail server is too slow in responding with the folder list, Apple Mail reverts to using a local folder instead of the Sent Items (or another name, depending on the locale) on the server. The problem is that when the folders reapper, Mail doesn't go back to using the server's folder! This is a very dangerous behavior: if it goes unnoticed, you will keep your sent mails on local storage (possibly escaping a proper backup method) and if using multiple devices, you'll never find your sent messages again. The problem went away once we upgraded to RAID10 15k rpm disks and Ubuntu host: now we don't have timeouts anymore and things are smooth. I would actually blame Apple for this, Thunderbird does not show the same response to disappearing folders (perhaps a longer timeout).
  •  
ebatte

That's interesting. I don't see how a mail server response could be considered "too slow". Is there a timeout setting hidden somewhere in apple mail that can be tweaked?

•  
id t

It's my speculation of course, but what happens is I think that Apple Mail regularly refresh the folder list, and if that times out Apple Mail decides that there are no folders at all and just removes them from the list. It happened before when I had my store on a XSan (raid5) volume, also opening webmail took several seconds (to minutes). Now everything is snappier (RAID10, 15k SAS) and the problem is gone.
  •  
GlennK

I've found the best way to approach this is not to rely on those folders "aligning" its just not going to work out. As far as server response, Apple Mail might think response is too slow if the Internet connection is weak too. Its just not worth the headache. My latest recommendation is to not try to co-ordinate the trash or junk folders. Just leave them local, turn of Junk Filtering of Apple's email client, don't keep trash on server. The only thing left is sent messages, which is useful to have in multiple locations. Living with the possibility of dual sent folders and re-aligning every once in a while--oh well.
  •  
marook

GlennK wrote on Sat, 08 January 2011 13:48
I've found the best way to approach this is not to rely on those folders "aligning" its just not going to work out. As far as server response, Apple Mail might think response is too slow if the Internet connection is weak too. Its just not worth the headache. My latest recommendation is to not try to co-ordinate the trash or junk folders. Just leave them local, turn of Junk Filtering of Apple's email client, don't keep trash on server. The only thing left is sent messages, which is useful to have in multiple locations. Living with the possibility of dual sent folders and re-aligning every once in a while--oh well.

I think bugreport.apple.com i a MUCH better solution!
And you don't even have to mention Kerio. Mention Exchange, and say you use IMAP...

Having Mail store your stuff local is a BOMB waiting to explode, leaving you with out your sendt messages, not having them on-the-go from you mobile device or webmail.

And frankly, I have not seen it happen here yet, so maybe something else is wrong?

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
ebatte

It happens to all three Apple Mail users in my office many times each year. I would estimate that it happens about every 6 weeks, but I have not logged each occurrence on a calendar.

IOS devices have never exhibited such behavior. I have no idea why this should be a timeout issue, anyway.
  •  
GlennK

I've seen it happen to me personally. I have no measure of how often.

Marook... I'm not sure why local is a bomb. Local copies are present anyway. I find syncing huge junk and trash folders to the server much more bomb prone. And yes, I do suggest keeping sent mail on the server since that's useful. Junk and trash are more dubious.
  •  
marook

@GlennK: Well, Trash and Junk folders is (mostly) not that important, if you are 100% sure why. But your users will mostly Not be!
But what if Mail decided to mark a message Junk and you didn't notice? And you get home to machine#2 or access your mail via your phone and it's not there?
Or you trashed it by accident, and forgot to move it back?

The issue is also that as long as you know your mail is on the server, it's one item less to think about if something should go wrong.

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
Previous Topic: TS01] Messages from XX.XX.XX.XX temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1;
Next Topic: Kerio Connect 7.1.3 domain quota Limit and calendar sharing
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 06:25:10 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00441 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.