Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Linux Beta ETA? (Linux Beta)
  •  
SJ

Send a private message to this user
Wondering if there is any ETA for the unix Connect beta? The other distro's are up, but not the linux version.

Thanks in advance,
  •  
Waco1

The Beta 2 build was available for Linux. I've got it running on a Debian box. There were a couple of very minor/superficial bugs, but I tested it enough that I'd be OK running it in production.

I guess the beta 3 bits didn't change (from beta 2) for Linux, so it's not there? Someone forgot?

I have no idea how you can get a "Legacy Beta Build", LOL...
  •  
SJ

I am running beta 2 as well and pleased with it... BUT... I want beta 3 so I can test some more of the outlook 2011 connectivity. Not sure why the delay on it, maybe they are just going to bypass it?

At any rate, hopefully something soon. This Microsoft OWA/ASync/DavMail/WebDav/Whatever is beyond ridiculous. I can't imagine how difficult it is to implement this for Kerio.

Beta Legacy... that's my new buzzword for the week!

Best,
  •  
Waco1

Same here.

Yep, Outlook 2011 is becoming a squeaky wheel here.

The reason I suggested that maybe the Linux bits aren't available for B3 is because the description of the shortcomings in 2011 support are the same for B3 as for B2, suggesting there were no significant changes in the Linux build.

It's odd that the bits aren't available though... Microsoft has sent things to general release that aren't half as solid as that B2 Linux build... Anyone who doesn't have it...well...I feel sorry for them: B2 Linux is peace, happiness, and cheesecake, all rolled up in a tarball. Rolling Eyes
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Quality of Linux beta 3 didn't reach the required level for a release. So we've decided to release only Windows and Mac version because we think it is important to deliver the EWS support for testers as soon as possible.

Beta 4 will be released for all three supported platforms.
  •  
ceejaynet

can you tell us when Beta 4 will be released
  •  
SJ

Now you have given me a second quote of the week. All rolled up in a tarball... You should write for Lenno.

I do think the Beta 3 allows you to reply to emails where as B2 did not. If I am remembering correctly. If that is not so, then it lets you see calendars and contacts. Either way, the ability it brought was subtle versus 2.
  •  
Waco1

ceejaynet wrote on Fri, 14 January 2011 14:23
can you tell us when Beta 4 will be released

Development doesn't work that way, except at Electronic Arts (the game publishers), where your pay starts dropping rapidly as you pass the scheduled release dates that were scientifically calculated by tossing darts at a Day-Planner while drinking shots of cheap vodka.

That said:
Wow, dev team! You're doing great! I can hardly wait for Beta 4! Pizza's on me if you release it today!

!
  •  
Wilmott-IT

looking forward to the next release.

Really love the windows product you guys have developed and would love the ability to deploy on linux as well considering the vast majority of our servers are linux

Wilmott-IT Services, Business IT Systems Management, Central Coast NSW Australia. Visit Wilmott-IT Services
  •  
Waco1

Well, the Beta 2 expired, leaving 16 beta users swingin' in the wind.

I really like Kerio, but that was *really* dumb to set an expiration with no warnings at all. (It *is* an email server, after all.)

Now I have to scramble to migrate these 16 users to 7.1.3, and they'll tell me to urinate up a rope next time I ask them to be guinea pigs...

Mad
  •  
pal

I am sure that you agreed anywhere that BETA releases are not for a production environment...
  •  
SJ

Yeah, same thing happened to me. My own fault I guess because it is beta, but still a warning would have been nice. Since no beta 3 for linux... which... thats fine, but if you plan to shut me off in 30 days, then maybe even a build which extends 30 more days? Right? Oh well...

I downgraded my server by doing an rpm -e --nodeps <previous package> and then rpm -Uvh <current build>.rpm. Seems to be working fine.

I think I am done beta'ing for a while.

Hope this helps.
  •  
Waco1

pal wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 08:11
I am sure that you agreed anywhere that BETA releases are not for a production environment...

Not quite. Beta is not for GA-production, but limited production (aka live testing) is typically appropriate. You're thinking alpha testing.

Like I said above, Kerio's Beta 2 is far FAR better than Exchange 2007 w/ SP2. I already own licensing for Exchange, but you see what I'm running here: 7.1.3 for most, and Beta 2 for 16 others.

Typical beta releases will expire 3-6 months after the target GA date. Not before GA. Certainly not before the next beta is available. This is a software error like any other, but a bit more irritating because it's such blatantly flawed logic.

This was an honest mistake on Kerio's part, and while it caused some issues here and really ticked me off, I'm not angry with Kerio per say. Just the situation.

Kerio will fix this in future Betas. They want to capture market share. That requires honest/fair feedback from us, and reasonable responsiveness from Kerio. Kerio does that very well, and I intend to do my part equally well. You should too.

My recovery consisted of:

BACKUP
    /etc/init.d/kerio-connect stop
    dpkg -i kerio-7.1.3*.deb
    Stop BES on the Win server
    Remove beta 2 connector
    install 7.1.3 connector
    Start BES
    Verify BES Admin login in Kerio security log
    Remove beta 2 connector for 16 users
    install 7.1.3 connector for 16 users
    re-build the profiles for the 6 systems that didn't handle that well
    post here

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2011 16:37]

•  
Kedar

Hi all

I would like to apologize for problems caused by expired beta 2 version on Linux. Since we still have not beta 3 and new beta 4 should be available within few weeks, we decided to rebuild new beta 2 for Linux. You can simply upgrade to this build. This beta will expire in the middle of April.

Link:
http://prerelease.kerio.com/dyn/b5078f854e52c00dfe1ef434a/ke rio-connect-7.2.0-2823-b2/
Waco1

Radek Sip (KERIO) wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 02:31
Hi all

I would like to apologize for problems caused by expired beta 2 version on Linux. Since we still have not beta 3 and new beta 4 should be available within few weeks, we decided to rebuild new beta 2 for Linux. You can simply upgrade to this build. This beta will expire in the middle of April.

No apology necessary! That link says it all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Do you have a 2823-b2 Blackberry Connector lying around anywhere? Smile
Previous Topic: Mac sync w/ Kerio, Plaxo, Google
Next Topic: Favorite Blacklists Used
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 15:40:46 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00595 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.