Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Outlook Connector for Office 2010 64 bit
  •  
kennethml

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I'm aware that a Outlook Connector for Office 2010 64 bit doesnt exist at the moment, but are there any indications that such would be available?

Br
Kenneth
  •  
finbom

Hello,
same here.. I just installed Office2010 64 bit on some clients.. And before that I read the following on kerio.com...

Whats new in 7.1
Outlook 2010 Support
Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition) supports Outlook 2010
Outlook 2010 is not supported by the online version of KOC

I did not read anything that 64bit was not supported. Are not Kerio aware of the 64 bit architecture? Wink

I'll try to hang on for a few days. The web access works for a while. But a 64bit support would be nice.

Kind regards, Magnus Finbom

Magnus Finbom
  •  
nhoague

Honest opinion, don't use Office 2010 64 bit. Even M$ recommends Office 2010 32 bit due to external incompatibilities.
  •  
finbom

Honest nicholashoague.

You sound like a pro. Using fancy funny shortings like M$ etc.
Can you give me any source-URL to a Microsoft site where they write any recomendations to not use their 64Bit platform/applications?

Of course I could use MacOS os any crappy Linux-dist. But Since we have choses Microsoft as a partner and choosen to adapt new technology and for several reasons have great advantages when using 64 bit applications, we see no reasons to roolback. As I wrote. The webmail works great temporary.

We have no issues (beside this KOC minor-rated issue) with 64bit. Performace is way better then old 32bit for our calculations in excel.

Smile

Magnus Finbom
  •  
nhoague

•  
elias

There's also this Technet article which has the same recommendation:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

In addition, even if you have a 64-bit machine and 64-bit Windows, Microsoft will install the 32-bit version of Office by default. You have to explicitly install the 64-bit version if you want it. The do this for exactly this issue; that most (if not all) of the 32-bit addins for Office won't work with the 64-bit version.

-Elias
  •  
Waco1

finbom wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 18:20
Honest nicholashoague.

You sound like a pro. Using fancy funny shortings like M$ etc.
Can you give me any source-URL to a Microsoft site where they write any recomendations to not use their 64Bit platform/applications?

Of course I could use MacOS os any crappy Linux-dist. But Since we have choses Microsoft as a partner and choosen to adapt new technology and for several reasons have great advantages when using 64 bit applications, we see no reasons to roolback. As I wrote. The webmail works great temporary.

We have no issues (beside this KOC minor-rated issue) with 64bit. Performace is way better then old 32bit for our calculations in excel.

Smile

Microsoft kind of missed the boat with 64-bit offerings, presumably because 64-bit programming is not as simple as just re-compiling the 32-bit code (in many cases). Especially when much of your code base is still 16-bit PASCAL code. Win7 is very different, but that doesn't make it compatible with legacy apps like Office which drag the rest of the shiny boat gurgling into the icy depths of decrepitude.

Microsoft released 64-bit XP, and recommended that IT managers stick to 32-bit versions. That was the beginning of a trend that continues today. I'm not prescient, but I know a trend when it punches me in my IT budget so I'm gonna guess it'll continue tomorrow.

Yes, the world yearns for > 2GB addressing WITHOUT the 50+% PAE performance hits, but the only real options for that are currently MacOS and those crappy linux distros. With Windows, and we're primarily a Windows shop here, you pay a price one way or another...and sometimes both. Pros know this and take it into account.

I would install 32-bit Office explicitly. Outlook gains nothing from 64-bit execution, other than a degree of poser-cool anyway, and the really hot wiminz are just as impressed when you tell them you're running "Windows 55 in 1-bit mode". Laughing
  •  
rcohen

finbom wrote on Sun, 09 January 2011 17:20
But Since we have choses Microsoft as a partner and choosen to adapt new technology and for several reasons have great advantages when using 64 bit applications, we see no reasons to roolback.

There are lots of incompatibility hassles, starting with KOC.

Many people misunderstand that they get the full benefit of 64-bit OSs, even when running 32-bit apps. The only reasons to want 64-bit apps is if you need to work with 64-bit plug-ins, or if you need >3gb of address space for that process.

For Office, that's really unlikely. Perhaps for huge Excel spreadsheets. For large spreadsheets that aren't running address space, giving you errors, you won't see any benefits at all.
  •  
shorthillsolutions

I disagree. I come from the MacOs world, so i know 64bit software. The fact that software firms don't convert their plugins to 64bit is not a reason not to use 64 bit software. To use 32 bit software, or even to advise buyers (as MS did) not to use it is sad.
If more users do use 64 bit software, which surely is the (at least close) future, (even though MS doesn't see it), more software architects build 64 bit software!

I hope, that Kerio implements the 64 bit version of the KOC soon. At least I would appreciate a notice for less-experienced users that the KOC doesn't support 64bit office.

I reinstalled office today, to try to solve the kofmsp.dll - issue, just to find out that it is only solved by removing the Kerio-Mailbox from the Mail preferences!

greetings
tobias

[Updated on: Thu, 24 February 2011 17:42]

Previous Topic: Kerio and Blackberry
Next Topic: Synchronizator::setOnlineInternal
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 17:47:48 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00431 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.