Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Moving The STORE.FDB File (Move the offline cache file out of the user profile hive)
  •  
it@leonardsexpress.com

Send a private message to this user
Does anybody know if there is a solution to moving the STORE.FDB file (outlook offline cache file) from out of ther userprofile hive within the windows directory system? this offline cache file has the potential to be rather large.

In my particular case, we are on Kerio 7.1.2.2260 and using the Kerio Connect for Blackberry and BES. The location that the blackberry connector is located is installed on a partitioned server C and D drive. The software is installed on the D (data) drive, however, the STORE.FDB file I am finding to be in the userprofile hive. We would love to move this to the D drive considering there is more physical space available for its potential growth.

Is there a configuration we can change?

Thanks,
Chris
Systems Administrator
chris.demillo<_at_>leonardsexpress.com

IT Admin
  •  
TorW

Its location is hardcoded in the Outlook connector and can't be changed. You can, however, use Microsoft's junction tool to place it somewhere outside the profile folder's "Local Settings", but if you have roaming profiles it won't work.
  •  
pjulian

Hi TorW, I have tried your suggestion and whilst it does allow you to move the data it still shows that the disk space is consumed in the old location because the junction point is simply a pointer, but is not recognized by anything that looks at disk space.

We still have an issue of an ever decreasing system partition on the box we are using with no real other option that I can see, do you have any other suggestions as we are running out of time and space....

Thanks
Paul
  •  
gbrown100

If you are really desperate and there is no other way you could try the CorrectFilePaths shim in the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit. I managed to cludge a fix to an application that absolutely HAD to write to C drive using this tool and redirected to another drive instead. It would be something like this:

Run the 32bit Administrator
Create a Custom Database
With the custom database selected create a new Application Fix
Call it something like KerioPathFix
Select the connector executable
Hit Next, then choose CorrectFilePaths
Hit the Parameters button
In the Command windows type: (include my quotes)
"c:\path to current location;d:\path to new location"
Hit OK, next and then finish
Save the database in a useful location
Right click on the database and select Install

Copy contents of the first path to the second path and it *may* work! Whenever the application calls the first filesystem path windows will automatically feed it the second.

BTW - there is no way Kerio will support this configuration so try at your own risk. If it all breaks or corrupts something it be your fault, I certainly haven't tested it!

Graham

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2011 18:01]

•  
TorW

pjulian wrote on Tue, 01 March 2011 13:25
Hi TorW, I have tried your suggestion and whilst it does allow you to move the data it still shows that the disk space is consumed in the old location because the junction point is simply a pointer, but is not recognized by anything that looks at disk space.

Hmmm. Did you create the junction the right way? It's backwards from what you'd expect:

junction "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Kerio\Outlook Connector\" D:\username\kerio\cache

Or: junction <original dir> <new dir>

Other than that, I have no tips. We ditched the tool after half an hour of testing and extended our SAN boot volumes instead. A more expensive solution, but infinitely more robust and textbook-y.

I have mentioned it probably a dozen times before in here: unless you have either the infrastructure (read: really, really large system disks you can expand at will) or knowledge (read: the balls to hand junction.exe control of your mission critical email) to throw at the problem, KOFF on a Windows terminal server is currently unfit for production.

That is, if you use Outlook 2003 or 2007. Which I guess most of us do.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 March 2011 20:32]

•  
Petr Silar (Kerio)

Hello,
Version 7.2.0 of Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition) supports setting of custom local path for its local cache(s). Since it's potentially dangerous setting it's not accessible from the GUI but it must be set in Registry.
Please ask our support for details.
  •  
sandyj

Kerio_psilar wrote on Mon, 07 March 2011 09:49
Hello,
Version 7.2.0 of Kerio Outlook Connector (Offline Edition) supports setting of custom local path for its local cache(s). Since it's potentially dangerous setting it's not accessible from the GUI but it must be set in Registry.
Please ask our support for details.

We did that and they told us to use the junction tool but we don't really like that solution.
  •  
perennialdesign

•  
perennialdesign

Did anyone ever find a solution to the problem? We're currently facing a similar issue with our C partition running out of space due to the store.fdb files.

We thought about repartitioning as well but that's risky.
  •  
TorW

It seems the only viable solution is a large enough disk, which usually means the C drive.
I don't know if anyone asked Kerio support for the registry settings needed to set a custom local path for the cache, where it's set (LOCAL_MACHINE or CURRENT_USER) or if it comes with any limitations. There may also be implementation or operational issues to consider if you do this on a production server; rolling out registry changes, cache re-syncs and server load etc. etc.
  •  
Stijn Bienkens

Information on which registry key to modify/create can be found here: ://kb.kerio.com/article/how-to-modify-store-location-for-the -kerio-outlook-connector-offline-258.html (add http, forum restriction)

I am currently testing it in our environment.
  •  
perennialdesign

Is there any downtime incurred from the handheld/client stand point when this is implemented? Does BES continue to operate uninterrupted?
  •  
TorW

The only downtime is on the client getting the local cache moved.
  •  
perennialdesign

Do you mean the down time is equal to the time the database files take to transfer?
TorW

The "downtime" is equal to the time it takes to quit Outlook (and thus koffbackend.exe), apply the registry changes, start up Outlook again and resync the message store. I don't know if the FDB files can be moved in accordance with the registry changes so you can skip the resync, but it would save a lot of hassle and server traffic if one were to do a mass rollout of the change.

In the original poster's scenario (Blackberry/BES connector), this is a straightforward fix.

If your terminal server users log in to the same server every time, this registry change may make roaming profiles usable in a TS environment. Remember though, that you will need another local disk/partition on the server. Network drives or UNC paths won't work. Same thing goes for fat clients; you'll need an extra local partition to get away with this.

If you have a row of load balancing terminal servers and roaming profiles, the servers will all need to share the same local cache location drive. From the top of my head, the only (?) way to accomplish this would be to have several servers share the same logical, dedicated cache SAN volume and make sure they all have the same drive letter for it.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2011 12:55]

Previous Topic: 4.4.2 Connection Lost messages
Next Topic: Set up my phone not working after upgrade to Connect 8
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 14:58:58 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00506 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.