Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Backup (i need some answers! ;))
  •  
NOimann

Send a private message to this user
Hello Guys,
Sry for interrup you but i have some questions.
I´m from Germany and i had to work with the Kerio Mail Server.

So my boss thinks about a kerio backup system. What ever it means, i didn´t hear or read about that.

I know about the backup Option with a secondary MX record, but this means if i was right, that you must have a primary mx record, with a email relay it didn not work ?

If No, it might be possible to use one licens for two servers if one doesn´t work parallel to the primary relay...

Hope you will help me, and sry about my broken englisch.
It´s just what we learn at School :/

Best regards
NOimann
IT-Consultant
Germany

IT-Consultant
  •  
pal

Depending on what type of Backup you mean:
A secondary MX server hast the purpose of a failover for incomming mails. If the primary mail server is down, any mail would be send to the secondary MX server. The secondary MX server will catch all mails for the domain in question and collect everything. As soon as the primary mail server will be back online, it calls the secondary MX if there is any mail waiting for him. Please note that in this case user will have no access to their mailbox or any new mails because the secondary MX will only collect mails but not service any accounts. A secondary MX server should be on another network and location of the primary mail server to have a meaningful use at all.
My personal opinion is that for my company (small business) i don't use a secondary mx because of nature how mail delivery works. Usual if a mail server is not reachable the sending MTA will retry at least for 3 days sometimes even longer to resend the mail. A message notice will be send to the author of the mail of the delay. In my case i will have a new server and restore every account and their mails from my backup within this timeframe.

Alternative backup could mean to actually do backup of accounts and mails from the main server in case of harddisk errors, Kerio has built in functions for backups - see the manual.

At last i want to mention Kerio Distributed Domain feature, but i don't know if a slave it can act as a failover if the master server is offline.
  •  
NOimann

Thx for Your Time,

I Think i understood this,

in our case we had coustumers small business up to max, 100 desks,
so i would prefer ur way, to backup all the configs and restore them if a hdd had an error or the server gets down...

And our servers works as a relay server not as an mx record,
so in our case it didn´t work because then we had to turn the servers to mx records if we want to backup it with a second kms an the forwarding to it.

Am i right ?

Best regards and thx a lot for ur answer, it helps me much more you belive.

IT-Consultant
  •  
pal

To backup the accounts and mails is the basic backup you can do and you should do!

Just to get you right with "relay server":
You have no mx records pointing directly to your server. Which means that a ISP catch all mails for your domain and you have Kerio setup to scheduled fetch all mails and sort it to your user mailboxes. In that case you have no option to setup a secondary mx server, because thats your providers concern. Usual they have multiple secondary mx servers (like Deutsche Telekom, gmx.de, web.de or similar).

In that case, your only option for a backup would be the regular backup Kerio offers and i mentioned earlier (see manual http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/chap-backup.h tml).

•  
NOimann

Thx pal,
you are right i would them backup normal way, but its not my decision, i´m a little worker.
So Thx for your Time and the quiet good info !
eventually i came back with another question, see what the boss is thinking Very Happy Very Happy

Solong
NOimann

IT-Consultant
Previous Topic: Kerio Connect 7...Exchange 2007 Compatibility?
Next Topic: Outlook 2010 crashes with KOFF
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 07:53:29 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00540 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.