Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Why is .wm? files filtred as default?
  •  
jonte

Send a private message to this user
My boss wants to email small "funny" .wmv videos, and getting mad because they are filtered in out Kerio Connect. (they should be banned from the entire internet according to me Wink

1) What is the reason for having this filter as default setting in Kerio Connect?
2) Can someone help me with arguments why I shouldn't remove the filter for *.wm? files?
  •  
marook

Because email is not FTP? Wink

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Email attachment filter is not enabled by default. So it's on the server administrator whether the filter will be enabled or not and what files are blocked. Pre-defined list contains some common file extensions and it is based on years of experience from system administrators. There is no real threat from .wmv files except the size of such "funny" videos.
  •  
jonte

I lost the case, had to enable it. Sad
I didn't have enough information about it.

But I'm sure I haven't added the around 30 content filters on the list, and I am the only administrator, so it has to been there by default. The question is why in the case of .wm?

What was the thoughts at Kerio when adding this default filter? (not implying it was wrong)
  •  
cloud2

jonte wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 15:31
I lost the case, had to enable it. Sad
I didn't have enough information about it.

But I'm sure I haven't added the around 30 content filters on the list, and I am the only administrator, so it has to been there by default. The question is why in the case of .wm?

What was the thoughts at Kerio when adding this default filter? (not implying it was wrong)

what part of: 'Email attachment filter is not enabled by default' don't you get?
I have never seen the attachement filter being enabled by default you must have done it yourself.

And for .wm files.
It is there so users won't be able to send large 'funny' video's to their family and co-workers and put a load on your network.
  •  
jonte

I am talking about the list in the attached screen dump. The content of the list, not the "enable attachment filter" check box.

This list is populated by default values. I'm sure you're right about the check box.

•  
rigo

just uncheck that extension, done!

if you want to know more about the extension just research it, done.
  •  
jonte

its the research I'm doing. My question was how Kerio thoughts was when adding this. All the others I can understand without further explanation, but not this one. Since all the others has good reasons to be on this list, I thought there might be a reason for this as well, that I don't know about.
  •  
rigo

all files can be spoofed--by default they are on the list, it is up to an administrator to make things fit on your environment
  •  
winkelman

jonte wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 17:19
its the research I'm doing. My question was how Kerio thoughts was when adding this. All the others I can understand without further explanation, but not this one. Since all the others has good reasons to be on this list, I thought there might be a reason for this as well, that I don't know about.

These are the reasons for blocking wmv files:

Quote:
because email is not FTP

the size of such "funny" videos

so users won't be able to send large 'funny' video's to their family and co-workers and put a load on your network

It's up to you to decide if these are reasons enough to block wmv. (And yes, it is possible for a virus to be transmitted within a wmv file... Google 'virus in wmv file' for some info on that.)

Previous Topic: Connect, Microsoft Sharepoint and Mail.app
Next Topic: To use Kerio Connect 7 licences for Kerio Mail Server 6.7.2 ?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 06:16:28 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00513 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.