Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » New User
  •  
fRAiLtY-

Send a private message to this user
Hi there,

I'm going to be migrating a server of around 30 users from MS Exchange to Kerio, all being well. I'm trying to set this up in development mode on a spare Mac I have laying around.

I've got the step-by-step guide and one part that confuses me is where I add a DNS server in part 1.1

Where on a Mac or in Kerio do I add these settings. We own a spare domain called bendart.co.uk and will be using this for test purposes.

I can't figure out where I'm supposed to be making adjustments as there's nothing in the backend of Kerio as regards DNS?

Many thanks.

Cheers.
  •  
marook

DNS is done on your DNS manager, either in Server Admin in OS X Server or elseware.
But the clients that need to be able to resolve that also...

Seems likke your doamin is hosted here: dessol.co.uk
Wink

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
fRAiLtY-

Hi there,

I'm just on OS X not OS X Server. The domain is pointed at our webserver which we have root access to and can edit DNS zones and A,MX records.

I believe I followed the guide correctly but the e-mails get bounced back if I try to send to it saying "Unknown user".

Cheers
  •  
marook

Hi again,

You domain's mail has no link to the website!
The MX records for the domain is:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;bendart.co.uk.			IN	MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
bendart.co.uk.		3600	IN	MX	10 email.dessol.com.
bendart.co.uk.		3600	IN	MX	5 email2.dessol.com.

The website is at:
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.bendart.co.uk.	3600	IN	A	188.40.119.215

You need to access the DNS setup system (or ask your ISP/DNS provider) to change the MX records, to the one with the lowest number point to the hostname og the test server. Ther eis no 'root' access required to you website.. Wink

In order to use it in production, the public PTR record for the public IP needs to point back to hostname of the server.

If you don't know what this means - ask the people that do (at your ISP..)
Or keep it internal..
If you have an internal DNS server in the company, you can create the DNS zone internally and point the correct records to your test server - without interrupting the public records.

Did I mention: If you don't know what this means - ask the people that do (at your ISP.. or internal IT, if you have that..)

Best,

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
fRAiLtY-

Thanks, I'll get this actioned now.
  •  
fRAiLtY-

Hi,

I believe I've done this correctly now, can you please check. An online checker says this:

5	mail.bendart.co.uk	
10	email.dessol.com

Cheers
  •  
marook

Seems fine, if mail.bendart.co.uk is pointing to the IP of your testserver.
Best way to test, is to try to acces Kerio Webmail via that hostname...

Testing.. testing..

Ok, you have changed the MX record, but you need to add a 'A' record that points to the IP address.. Wink

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
fRAiLtY-

The problem is, my test server doesn't have an external IP address, well it does but it's the same as every other networked machine in the building...

How do I get around that?
  •  
stupot1397

If you have access to the router/firewall, then set up a port forward from the external IP on port 25 to your internal mailserver ip on port 25.

This should allow SMTP connections to your mailserver.

Of course if you dont have this access then there is not much you can do!
Previous Topic: Move from Mac Pro G5 to Mac Mini Server
Next Topic: Comandline download of Calendar with wget
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 00:10:33 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00431 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.