Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migration (from open directory to local users)
  •  
cloud2

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

Our current mailserver (xserve) uses the Workgroup Manager (open directory) for the users and passwords.
We want to migrate to a new server (linux with kerio) but how do we get the current accounts to the new server?
In the config files there are no references to the users as they are being kept in the open directory. Is there any way to make local users from them?

Thanks.
  •  
sfpete

You likely want to break this into chunks.

The combination of moving from open directory authentication to local...AND... to a new server/platform should likely be broken into separate tasks.

First get the users off open directory, then move to the new server.

We were able to get off open directory authentication (provided by another server in our case) by deleting the users one by one, * LEAVING THEIR STORE *, and then re-adding the user/name/password for each as local/internal data source. The store stayed, and was inherited by the new local user, authenticating locally.

Test this first on a single (perhaps fake) user of course.

Once that's working you should be able to migrate to your new server... independent of platform... relatively easily.
  •  
cloud2

Thanks Pete!

Yeah I figured that we should do it in chunks.
Tested a couple options yesterday (making the user on the new server and then replacing his folder, and vice versa etc.) but that all didn't work out.
Got the same awnser from Kerio support today, so I figure this will work rather flawlessly.

Going to test it on my own account first Wink

I will first convert everything to local users and leave it that way for a week (or 2), that also gives me enough time to plan the migration ahead and fully configure an ESXi machine with a couple of Kerio VPS's
  •  
marook

I have done the 100+ times - works fine!
It would also be the procedure if you like to rename the user (either local or in OD/AD)

1: Delete the account, but leave the mail-store
2: Do you changes.. (rename OD account and mailstore folder,)
3: Create the account again.

It's also this trick you use if you like to moce from Local to Directory user.. Wink

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
  •  
cloud2

Did it today and worked as expected!

Still a bit scary though but ah well.
Previous Topic: Backup Notification Message
Next Topic: Blackberry Torch syncronization without BES
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 05:58:16 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00437 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.