Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Restricted Mail Groups (Workaround for restricting who can send to a mail group)
  •  
lydigconstruction

Send a private message to this user
I've seen messages asking Kerio to add some security options to 'groups' since pre-2006. Since it looks like they are never going to work on this issue, here's the work-around I've put in place...hopefully this info will help save someone the trouble of reinventing the wheel.

Unfortunately this method eats a license.

Step 1
Setup a 'Group' (in my case using Active Directory) with the following settings:
All.Employees.Group<_at_>domain.com
Publish in GAL - unchecked

Step 2
Setup a 'Mailing List' with the following settings:
All.Employees.List<_at_>domain.com
Subscription to the list by email - denied
Member can post a message - denied
Non-member can post a message - denied
Moderator can post a message - allowed
Moderators - <Add whoever you want to allow mailing to the group>
Members - All.Employees.Group<_at_>domain.com (created in step 1)

Step 3
Create a user (in my case AD) with these settings:
All.Employees<_at_>domain.com
Publish in GAL - checked
Forward to address - All.Employees.List<_at_>domain.com
This user can send/receive email to/from his/her own domain only - checked

Now the only address that shows up in your GAL is All.Employees<_at_>domain.com and only the specified moderators are allowed to send to it (others receive error message). No one outside the domain is allowed to send to the address.

In the event someone discovers your group email address (All.Employees.Group<_at_>domain.com) you'll probably have to change the address to something a bit more random since it doesn't have any restrictions built-in.

This is obviously a very kludgy solution, but it seems to do the trick for now. Hopefully Kerio will take the hint and add some of the required options to mail groups and this post will become obsolete.

Hope this info is useful for someone.

Thanks,
Andrew
Previous Topic: SQLite data error
Next Topic: when new version?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Sep 21 14:04:14 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 1.29063 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.