Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Performance using virtual machine
  •  
bigmountain

Send a private message to this user
I am curious from those of you out there running Connect on VM's, how your performance/experience has been? How many users do you have on your machine and do you use Kerio's built-in backup solution or do you use another solution to back up the VM image itself? What Virtual software are you using (VMWare, Parallels, Virtualbox, etc.)? Thanks!

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
renefn

We're running Kerio Connect 7 on a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 32 bit VM on VMware vSphere 4.1. It's running perfect and I can't imagine that it should be a problem for anyone, as long as the disk subsystem is fast enough.

The hosts are running ESXi 4.1 and have quad core Xeon 54xx processors. All VM's are running on our Dell EqualLogic PS4000vx SAN and it's not breaking a sweat. Kerio Connects mailstore is just another virtual disk on a shared datastore, so no dedicated LUN.

We use Veeam Backup and Replication to backup the entire VM each night and it's replicating it as well to a disaster recovery EqualLogic SAN. I can highly recommend Veeam for backup up a virtual infrastructure. The few times it has been necessary to restore mails I have simply restored the files from the backup, copied them to the mailstore, renames index.fld to index.bad in the affected folder and restarted Kerio Connect. That has always worked.

Oh, and we have 100 accounts on this server. 70-80 are using KOFF and the rest are Mac users using a mix of Entourage and Thunderbird.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
tek_san

Hi,
just read the specs of my signature.
We have around 240 GB of mail store in the moment. Performance is no issue at all.
As we run all our virtual machines from an attached storage made by netapp we run the mail store from the same place.
We have one of the smaller netapps a fas2020.
regards
Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
id t

Hi

KC7.0.1, running under Linux (Ubuntu server 10.10 64bit) VM (1 vCPU, 4GB RAM, OS on a 32GB VMDK) , ESXi 4.1 host. The mailstore is on SAS chassis with 8x 600GB Velociraptor 15k rpm SAS disks in RAID10, 2 partitions (to overcome the 2TB limit) of 1200GB each, presented as RDM disks to the VM and then combined by LVM into one 2.2TB volume. We have 160 users and ~800GB mail store. Mail is rsynced every 4 hours to a Mac OS X server with the same version of KC ready to run if something goes wrong. The VM itself is backed up with ghettoVCB2 weekly (kerio config files are versioned with SVN to an internal repo).

wow now that I read it it seems more complicated than it really is!

Previous Topic: KIMT: Fatal Error (error code = 10) - Copy message from source folder
Next Topic: Outlook Calendar & Contact Synchronisation
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 09:22:58 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00391 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.