Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Disabled user (Where do emails go?)
  •  
nhoague

Send a private message to this user
If I uncheck the box "account is enabled," where do the emails go?

I don't see them in the queue and they don't get bounced. Do they just "disappear?"

A great option would be to set a automatic reply if an account is disabled. Unless I am missing something?

Thanks.
  •  
blackbox

Assuming you're asking about the external sender's perspective...

The sender should receive a NDR detailing:

"550 5.1.1 Mailbox <name@domain> does not exist"
  •  
blackbox

You should also see an entry in security.log referencing "Attempt to deliver to unknown recipient <disableduser@domain>, from <external<_at_>domain>, IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
  •  
nhoague

This is what I would expect as well. However, this is not the behavior we are seeing.
  •  
blackbox

If you'd like you could PM more information such as domain etc, and I'll see if I receive a NDR when emailing a fictitious account.
  •  
d.

Enable the user, but check if there are any "forwards" in place for that user (with that user's configuration).

Also, check your Mail log, as you should see any forwards there too. E.g. assuming the forward is to an internal address, you should see the message being sent (Service SMTP) and then received (Recipient: <xxxxx>, Result: delivered, Status: 2.0.0).

Also, check any Aliases set up for the user. This usually trips people up Smile.

Aliases or forwards would operate almost silently until someone turns them off...

There are other ways of locating where the message(s) are going, but these are the easiest / starting points.

Cheers,
D.

•  
nhoague

OMG. You are exactly right. This domain had a catch-all setup, so even though the user was disabled, the mail was getting caught by the catch-all.

Thanks! Noted.
  •  
d.

Excellent. Glad you found the catch-all!

Cheers,
D.

Previous Topic: Spamassassin
Next Topic: BESX Kerio blackberry connector change to new server
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 09:07:50 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00465 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.