Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » BESX Kerio blackberry connector change to new server
  •  
pjulian

Send a private message to this user
Hi, we are managing an existing Kerio Connect system (latest version) and are having terrible issues with KBC and BESX.

We are a little suspect about the existing Kerio install not being 100%, we have rebuilt the BESX box and reinstalled the KBC twice now and are still getting mixed results on blackberry hand-helds.
Some activate, some don't, sometimes they sync, sometimes they don't. We have logged a call with Kerio Support but they seem to be specifically asking about logs for the problem user, but it's 5 users who aren't working and won't activate, and 5 who work intermittently, it's very strange.

Anyway, what I want to do is build a second kerio box as a test on a new server and then point the BESX and KBC to that box, setup a test account in the new Kerio install and test the existing BESX and KBC install with the new Kerio server.

I know I can just change the server name in the KBC profile, but being that KBC has to be installed before BESX, will changing the server in the profile be enough to get it to work with the new server ?
I really don't want to re-install BESX and KBC again as it will stop the couple of users which are working from working.

I would appreciate any info anybody could offer.

Thanks
Paul
  •  
pjulian

Well being that nobody responded I will answer my own question for other peoples benefits.

You can do what I wanted, and here is how you do it.
For me it proved the problem was with the Kerio connect box, I personally believe there is an incompatibility with KBC when running with Kerberos authentication from AD which I plan to remove.

I built a fresh install of Kerio Connect and added a user.
I then added a user, and installed KBC to put the relevant info into Kerio Connect about the KBC.
I then copied the KBC table section from the mailserver.cfg file on the existing server and replaced the same section in the mailserver.cfg file on the new test server.
I then changed the server address in the KBC running on the BESX box and it happily talked to the new Kerio Connect server.
I activated a blackberry with the test user account almost instantly, this to me proved a fault with KErio Connect.

I have since changed everything back and created another user on the original Kerio Connect box which uses local authentication only, this mailbox activated instantly as well.

I am now going to change an existing users authentication from Kerberos to local and see if I can activate their blackberry account now, this should be interesting.

I hope this helps somebody as the information around for supporting this KBC is pretty ordinary I think, everybody seems to point the finger at RIM, which I'm more than happy to, but then BESX is making contact with the blackberries fine, how can it be them.

Regards
Paul
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

It's not a fault. KBC installation is paired with Kerio Connect server. If you want to switch to another Kerio Connect, you need either:
- copy the configuration from first Connect server to second one
- re-install Kerio Connector for BlackBerry and configure it to use second Kerio Connect server.
  •  
pjulian

I don't believe I said there was a fault as such, but when running KBC with users who authenticate locally it works, with users who authenticate to active directory it's haphazard results at best, we have seen a 50% hit rate.

This is either something with Kerio connect/KBC communications in general, so maybe a fault there, or it's the butchered way that the previous provider tried to get this customers solution working, which one I will probably never know, but I thought it important to show my tests so that if anybody else needed to try such a thing for fault finding purposes they knew it could be done and how to do it.

My info in the previous post concurs exactly with what you say, the KBC and Kerio Connect server are paired when you install KBC, but it is possible to move that pairing to another server if need be by copying the information from the old servers mailserver.cfg file to the new server.

Regards
Paul
Previous Topic: Disabled user
Next Topic: Problem with Outlook Offline Connector - schedule
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 19:51:02 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00363 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.