Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » New iPhone battery issues on Active Sync (Server Set up Tips or Tricks?)
  •  
Wolfman-K

Send a private message to this user
Well it had to happen sometime I guess. My nice small installation of Kerio Connect now has some users with smart phones on it. Specifically the new Verizon iPhone 4.

I set them up using Exchange Support and Push which works really well however the battery life of the phones is dismal. I have switched to pull on the devices as a temporary fix.

Is there any tips or tricks for setting up push support on an iPhone (or on the Kerio Connect server) that will not drain the battery in hours?

Also, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I don't seem to be getting Calendar data synced with the devices. Email and Contacts are working fine.

Thoughts?

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2011 20:05]

•  
benjalamelami

Dunno what are your battery expectancies on the iphones. I have the Kerio running with almost 10 iphones, some 3G, some 3GS, some 4... all of them the battery lasts the whole day with moderate use.

To sync the calendar, use the URL of your server, log in, and from the user interface, choose the folders you want to sync. Also, make sure you tell the iPhone to sync the calendar too.
  •  
Wolfman-K

Ben,

Thank you for the reply.

No this is from full charged to nearly dead in 4 hours use, with push turned on.

I have set up the phone from the url and even installed the certificate, although i didn't do that until recently.

I did set up the calendar folders from the URL too, and on the iphone it shows all our synced calendars but none of the events have come through... even set up some test events on a private calendar and they don't come through either.
  •  
j.a.duke

I can't speak to the battery life of a VZ iPhone, but the AT&T iPhones (3, 3GS & 4) that I support last at least a full day, often more.

I expect to have my first VZ iPhone later in the month, so I'll be following the thread to see what people find.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
mpermann

I've found the battery drain with push enabled on my iPhone 3GS for Kerio is much worse than having push enabled on my MobileMe account. My guess is either Apple has some tricks to make MobileMe's push notification extremely efficient or Kerio's implementation is less than optimized. So I just have an hourly fetch schedule set for my Kerio (setup as Exchange) account. I have very light telephone use as I mainly use the device for e-mail and internet access. I can usually go almost 48 hours without needing to charge the phone. When I enabled push on my Kerio account, I was only able to get between 6 and 8 hours of use out of the device before the battery was dead. We are using Kerio 6.7.3 by the way. Wolfman-k and Ben, what versions are you using? I also rarely leave applications opened in the background on the device and most applications that allow push notification have it turned off. It would be interesting to hear other peoples experiences with push enabled on Kerio.
Mike
  •  
benjalamelami

I dont know that. I cant speak if I have the kerio push account enabled and lasts the whole day. iPhones are running on versions OS 4.1 and up. Kerio Connect is 7.1.2 (wont update till 7.2). I cant really say what I did. It just happened that way, while installing and implementing the iPhones to the system.
Previous Topic: Mac OS X 10.6.5 update, iCal location field lookup not working
Next Topic: Spamassassin
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 22:52:00 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00415 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.