Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Backing up to network volume
  •  
andrewrob

Send a private message to this user
I currently backup to a network volume which is in a completely different building to the server. Every now and again the server loses the connection. Instead of the backup failing and letting me know, the server just creates a folder is /volumes/ and starts backing up to there. Eventually the server runs out of space and the server stops.

Does anyone have a recommendations? Ideally I would like the backup to fail and notify me and I can rectify the connection.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 February 2011 09:32]

•  
elias

That's strange; I've never seen the behavior you're describing. You should probably open a ticket with Kerio Support. I too do backups over the network and if the connection is down for some reason, the backup fails as expected.

-Elias
  •  
gbrown100

I noticed this problem on OpenSuse 11 with Kerio 6.7 - I think it was more down to the way I was mounting the network share as it also happened when I used a backup program called Areca.
  •  
TorW

Been there, done that ;)

There are many ways to check for the presence of mounted network shares in Linux/Unix/*BSD. The old way was/is to make a dummy file on the network dir and check for its presence before starting to use it. If you can't find it, you know you are dealing with the local file system and should mount the share. A better (cleaner) way is perhaps to use the mountpoint(8) command to see if a directory is a local dir or network dir.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2011 20:05]

•  
p0ddie

I had this happen a couple of times, too... on several Mac servers. Cheapest solution: write a script that mounts the volume a minute before the backup starts. If it is mounted already, it will just error out.

Oh, and if you're on a Mac as a server and log out the user, then the network share gets unmounted and you will have a folder full of backups under /volumes. Solution: mount the backup volume under /etc/fstab on the Mac.

<serverip or dns name>:/<name of share> /Volumes/<mount point> url automounted,url==cifs://user:pass@<serverip or dns name>:/<name of share> 0 0

if you then enter automount -vc it should mount the share and it will keep it mounted even if you log off.
  •  
mckingsley

I've had this happen with a plain ole external USB drive also. I think Kerio needs to add some checking code on their side.
Previous Topic: Taskmanager app for iPhone which syncs with Kerio
Next Topic: Create file/folder link in Webmail?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 06:16:14 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00519 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.