Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Workspace » Removing Files uploaded to WS (Files uploaded then removed still exist in /store)
  •  
Dave Hahn

Send a private message to this user
I'm testing WS and I notice something:

My /store directory is 5MB.

I upload a 10MB file.

Now my /store directory is 15MB.

I delete that file.

My /store directory is still 15MB.

Will it clean up on its own, or is everything that's ever uploaded kept forever?

Will there be a cleanup script that admins can run that will locate orphaned files and remove them.

What happens if I remove one manually - like let's say I upload a 4GB file and I want to specifically go remove it from /store/files/18/18 or whatever - as long as I removed the WS page that had it, am I ok? Or would it be better to remove it and put a 1KB file back in it's place? Does WS look at file.id or just path - would a new /store/files/18/18 file work if the FILE ID was different?
  •  
Jarda Snajdr (Kerio)

Hello Dave,

everything you upload is kept in the database even when you upload a newer version of the file or if you delete it. History of files can be browsed and older versions can be accessed. Deleted things can be undeleted.

In this aspect, Workspace store is similar to a version control system like Subversion or Git. The database keeps the whole history and can only grow.

We already see a significant demand for more sophisticated admin tools. Ability to physically delete the really old deleted files and components (removing the "tail" of the history). Admin access to all data stored in Workspace. We plan to introduce tools like this as we release further updates in the 1.1 version line.

Jarda
  •  
Jarda Snajdr (Kerio)

Regarding the question about the data store internals: if you remove that 18/18 file, you'll be OK. Of course, if you ever undelete the WS page, you'll be getting HTTP 404 errors and FileNotFound exceptions in the server.log. Putting a bogus 1KB file in its place doesn't help anything.

Replacing an existing file with another file with different content would be problematic for many reasons:
- we store the file size in the database. The new file might get truncated during download.
- the old content would remain indexed in the fulltext index, resulting in incorrect fulltext hits.
- file previews are cached - you would be sometimes getting the old previews, sometimes the new ones, depending if the particular page and zoom level you're requesting would result in a cache hit or not.

Jarda
  •  
Dave Hahn

Thanks Jarda -

Having the ability to remove something exceptionally large that doesn't belong in workspace will come up from time to time in our organization.
  •  
Florian

Hi Jarda,

I would like to ask you whether the option of removing the "tail" of the history has been implemented in v.1.1? We have set up a KWS that is heavily used for data storage. If the data amount grows further like this the maximum server capacity will be reached soon.

Thank you for your advice and kind regards
Florian
  •  
Jarda Snajdr (Kerio)

Hello Florian,

the "tail delete" will be available in version 1.2.

Jarda
  •  
Florian

Hello Jarda - thank you for your quick reply!! Have a nice day - Florian
Previous Topic: Drag and Drop
Next Topic: Prevent deletion of spaces
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 00:36:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00471 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.