Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » VPN Options (VPN tunnel or not)
  •  
GazzaBot

Send a private message to this user
Hi All,

I am new to setting up firewalls and VPN connections and would appreciate any advice and wot or wot not to do's concerning this subject.

I have installed the firewall and the VPN - it works Laughing - Kerio makes it easy to get started - I have even managed to firewall my mailserver and still have full mail functioning - all this done with minimal manual reading - Go Kerio.

Regarding the VPN and security etc. Why or in what scenario would one use a VPN tunnel, Active or Passive and how does one configure the certificates etc?

All input welcome
Many Thanks
Gazza
  •  
ICT and Me

Active = When both sides are using static IP.
Passive = When one of the sides is a dynamic IP.
Use of tunnel will be a choice of you or your company.
Example we use tunnels to monitor our customers when they want that.
Security can be controlled trough rule sets between tunnel and firewall.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2011 15:12]

ICT and Me
Carlo Turk
The Netherlands
www.ictandme.nl
  •  
GazzaBot

Thanks Carlo - Act vs Passive makes more sense now.
  •  
giampos

Usually "passive" is the main site (with static Ip).
Active is the branch office.
You cannot set "active" or "passive" both sites.

I think you must use the tunnel when in the branch office there are 2 or more computers and when theese are connected everytime (all the day). Not for notebook in travel.

The active site can detect the remote certificate, but you have to enter manually the remote certificate in the passive server.
  •  
GazzaBot

Thanks for the help - we have managed to test the Tunneling and Client options - actually quite easy with Kerio once you understand a few basics.
Previous Topic: Virtual Network Interfaces on software appliance
Next Topic: How to use CheckPoint VPN client and Radmin viewer under Kerio 6.5
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 04:37:39 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00368 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.