Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Connect on Citrix XenServer with iSCSI?
  •  
Tomislav

Send a private message to this user
We are considering consolidating some old servers to 2 new Dell PowerEdge R610 and one PowerVault MD3200i and are wondering what to do with our mail server.
I know that Connect is disk IO heavy so I'm worried that a 1Gb link to iSCSI won't do.

What are your experiences? Has anyone done this before?
  •  
renefn

We're running Kerio Connect in a Windows Server 2003 virtual machine in our small (3 hosts) VMware environment. It's running on our Dell EqualLogic PS4000VX SAN and is performing perfectly, no problem there.

We have around 100 users, mostly running KOFF.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
Tomislav

renefn, I have a few questions:
Are you running the virtual servers completely off the iSCSI? Both the system drives and the mail storage?

Is each server connected with iSCSI individually or do they share one connection?
  •  
renefn

Hi,

All virtual servers are running of the SAN. That's the only real way of doing it. Then you could choose to mount an iSCSI volume directly inside the virtual machine by using the MS iSCSI initiator, but that will only gain you a few percent in performance.

The data drive that stores the mail store inside the virtual machine is located on the same volume/datastore as the system drive and quite a lot of other system drives and data drives of other virtual machines. That's not a problem here with our workload, but for optimal performance you could choose to create a dedicated volume/LUN on the SAN for the mail store and create a dedicated datastore (or use iSCSI inside the client).

We have three hosts that each connect to the iSCSI network with two gigabit connections and the EqualLogic itself has two gigabit connections. All virtual machines share the same two gigabit connections on the hosts.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
Tomislav

That's good to know.

At the moment I'm planing to do this the "recommended" way: 4 iSCSI ports per server -> 2 dedicated iSCSI switches -> storage (8 ports). The number of ports depends on the final configuration I get the OK for, but this is the main idea (redundancy).

Other then the Mail server I'll be running an Apache server for Trac and maybe some other internal lightweight site. I think this should work nicely.
  •  
renefn

It sounds like your setup will be plenty powerfull although I don't know how fast the PowerVault is. Unless you put a lot of IO heavy VM's on that system then you should be safe. Kerio Connect really doesn't take that much resources.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
Previous Topic: Blackbery Curve 9330 Calendar lock
Next Topic: how to sync kerio with android ?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Sep 23 09:16:00 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00446 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.