Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Performance testing (Getting the most from Kerio with large mailboxes and outlook)
  •  
sandyj

Send a private message to this user
We have had a number of clients complaining about the following issues with outlook and KOFF. All testing has been done with outlook 2010 but would also apply to other versions. The test email account is very large with over 140,000 emails and around 10GB this was to test the extreme end of the scale as this would show up issues faster.

1. Slow opening outlook for the first time after system has been turned off or restarted.
2. Slow searches
3. Slow opening folders with large volumes of email on the first access fast returning to previously opened folders.

Here is what works so far.
1. Install a solid state hard drive in the client pc. Outlook now seems really smooth and pauses are only briefly SSD has really made a big difference.
2. Set kerio to cache all mail locally
3. turn off data compression in the connector
4. Use Lookeen for the search engine, turn on free up memory option in lookeen to ovoid crashing outlook otherwise memory usage goes through the roof. Searching is now very fast similar to lookout.
5. Use client pc windows 7 with 8 GB ram multi-core CPU at times the ram usage went up to 3.8GB just with outlook loaded. Seems to be much better with kerio 7.2 though. CPU usage seems to go up to 30% on all cores but the rest of the system still seems quiet usable.
6. The server was never really under any load except when moving large number of files around on the client eg moved 6000 emails to another folder. Solid state drive may help here but for all other actions on the client the server i/o was almost ide.
Server was a quad core with a seagate sata drive.
7. Imap seems really fast with either outlook or thunderbird but users like outlook.

What would be nice to do is shift the kerio cache FDB file to a second drive in the client pc's that have large email. We could buy 30GB SSD's fairly cheaply for this purpose but there appears to be no easy way to do this.
There seems no way to optimize the KOFF connector to either use more ram or optimize it.
There seems to be no way to get the server to do more of the work this seems to be the main differance between exchange and kerio when it comes to performance on the client side.

If anyone has any good suggestions I will test it out on our test bed this week.

•  
BudDurland

Thanks for sharing the results of your testing. I suspect that for those that don't need to do keyword searched of their e-mail (or do so rarely), the Kerio On-Line connector offers a significant performance boost. That's just a seat-of-the-pants assessment from our site; no real testing done.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
sandyj

Thanks for the response but I don't think there is a Kerio Outlook Connector (without offline caching) available for outlook 2010.

I am only talking about users with large email accounts as these are usually key people in a organisation who you can't afford to not make happy, for one reason or another they will not live without keeping large amounts of email.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2011 02:51]

•  
sandyj

I am realy surprised at the lack or reposones on this one does anyone have any ideas to add to this.
  •  
derek_500

sandyj wrote on Mon, 21 March 2011 18:00
I am realy surprised at the lack or reposones on this one does anyone have any ideas to add to this.

I'm not a regular forum browser, but I do appreciate the testing you did. I've just been rolling out systems with SSDs and 8GB of RAM for our clients this year, and what a difference it makes to the way Kerio works.

I was trying to find more information about how it works over time, if you are still subscribed to this thread, care to add any info about performance after a long period of time on an SSD?

If it does slow down over time, does having TRIM enabled on the client OS bring it back (should do this anyway)? Have you had any SSD failures? (wondering about Kerio's use of the FDB file and how it relates to garbage/read/write cycles to an SSD)

Just curious if there is any new info. We should have moved to SSD years ago!
  •  
sandyj

Yes SSD drives are the only way to fix large email boxes on the client side. I have found SSDs just as reliable as any other drive we mostly use Intel SSD's we started off with various other brands but found the Intel ones more reliable for our usage. This seems to have the greatest improvement for kerio performance that we have seen there appears to be little drop off over time if any. Large email boxes do perform vastly better than a standard hard drive putting SSD's in the server do not seem to greatly speed things up as they do on the client but this may vary depending on the number of clients.
It is possible to move the kerio store to a second drive if the primary is a standard drive this second drive should be a SSD but can be smaller than the OS drive.

Kerio has improved the performance in there software also over time I would say the following is best config for a client wanting kerio to work at its best with outlook.
1.I5 CPU
2.SDD drive (does not have to be the fastest SDD out there)
3.8GB ram
4.Win7 or win8 64 bit

Don't let the sent, inbox or deleted items go much over 5,000 to 10,000 items or the performance will start to drop off. Large sub folders are ok.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 October 2014 22:42]

Previous Topic: iOS 8 Support
Next Topic: Admin port bind to one IP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 09:51:18 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00440 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.