Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » CrashPlan Pro & Kerio  () 1 Vote
  •  
j.a.duke

Send a private message to this user
Is anyone using CrashPlan Pro to backup their KC server?

I'd like to know what your experience has been.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
ceejaynet

Hi Jon

We are a main partner for CrashPlan pro in the uk as we provide hosting for it in the uk and we have not had any problems with CrashPlan pro backing up our kerio installation on mac or windows
Regards
Craig
CeeJay Software www.ceejay.net
  •  
uptimjeff

CrashPlan is an excellent option to backup Kerio...

I use it at most sites.. had to recover a mailbox last week, easy breezy.

•  
KerioNL

Can you elaborate on what CrashPlan does exactly ?
  •  
ceejaynet

it's realtime backup for windows, mac and linux based computers, there are more details on our site at http://ceejay.net/

regards

craig
  •  
j.turley

What size message stores are you guys backing up using CrashPlan?
  •  
j.a.duke

I'm just getting things set up, but I've got about 350 gigs of email data that I'm going to be backing up.

Cheers,
Jon

[Updated on: Fri, 25 March 2011 16:16]

•  
uptimjeff

probably averaging around 100-200GB mailstores on each... but I back up way more than that, including other servers and around 150 user workstations....

all are backed up to more than on destination.
this is just one layer in my overall backup strategy

Jeff
  •  
ceejaynet

crashplan will do that just fine we have some clients backing up over 15tb no problem

craig
  •  
j.turley

What type/speed of connection are you guys backing up over and how long is this taking typically?

Thanks

Jason
  •  
sfpete

Presuming that you guys are backing up the built-in kerio backup destination (all the .zip files) to crashplan... and not the live server and mailstore?

•  
uptimjeff

My CP Pro server has over 20GB connection between sites (50GB down to the CP Server)
The time it takes to backup has never been a concern, so I can't answer that question.

I backup the live server as well as kerio backup (zip) files.

Backing up the live files allows me to restore with a 1 hour resolution (could be 15m)... I had a case a few weeks ago where a client moved a bunch of mail and they wanted it all undone, back to the way it was earlier in the day. I was able to restore the mailbox to minutes before they moved mail.. I then ran a find (in the archive) to locate all mail received from my backup time to current time and added those back to the inbox.

Jeff
  •  
gbrown100

Quote:
My CP Pro server has over 20GB connection between sites (50GB down to the CP Server)

Presume you mean Mb?

Quote:
I backup the live server as well as kerio backup (zip) files.

Backing up the live files allows me to restore with a 1 hour resolution (could be 15m)...

Exactly how are you doing this? You are simply running Crashplan (Pro?) on your server and having it mirror your live Kerio datastore to the backup server? Doesn't that cause corruptions of your index files?

Or are you simple shutting down the server at night and backing up with crashplan then?

Your post seems to suggest the former!

Thanks

Graham

[Updated on: Mon, 04 April 2011 16:53]

•  
uptimjeff

I never shut down the kerio server.

A rough sketch of what works for me.
- OS and Kerio Data are on separate RAID Volumes.
- Before OS Updates, I always make a Last Know Good clone
- Nightly live clones of the OS
- Nightly live clones of the Kerio Data volume
- If using OD, I dump OD to a backup nightly
- CrashPlan backup of Kerio Data volume and I also like to backup the config files, so I backup the entire /usr/local/kerio directory
- Kerio zip backups

A few scenarios
- I update OS, update goes bad.
I can roll-back to my pre-update clone. Nothing lost.

- OS raid volume dies
I can boot to my nightly clone

- computer dies
move raids boxes to another computer

- User mailbox accidentally deleted, damaged, etc.
Restore via CrashPlan (backs up at least 1/hour)
Locate files newer than crashplan backup in the kerio archive and move those back to use folder

- Kerio Data volume dies, depending on time of day, requirements of users, etc, I might
a) restore from kerio zip
b) restore from crashplan
c) rename my kerio data clone to make it the live kerio data drive (this is a VERY fast restore)
of course, simple recoveries like this won't be without problems.. missing data, index issues, who knows.
each situation is different, I just like to have many options.

Clones are my most valuable backup. They've saved my bacon, especially with OS updates.
Crashplan would be my second most valuable piece of the puzzle.

I hope that helps.

Jeff

uptimjeff

I didn't answer your question about Crashplan mirroring.....

CrashPlan doesn't mirror files from one machine to another... it doesn't create a backup server. Files are not accessible directly.

CrashPlan creates backup archives wich you must restore from.
Archives can be onsite, offsite (ideally both)
Restores can be performed with a web browser or with the crashplan client app.

So.. If a user mailbox was lost, I would restore it from CrashPlan then place the mailbox where I want it (might be back to the user, or I might make it a subfolder on my mailbox so I can sort it out first (and move it later).

Previous Topic: Cannot write data to connection socket
Next Topic: Any way to change score for HTML_FONT_FACE_BAD
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 08:34:58 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00524 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.