Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » IMAP timeout
  •  
barup

Send a private message to this user
I have a lot of users complaining about IMAP timeouts from Apple Mail.
It normmaly happens when the user is doing springtime cleanup - that is moving a lot of emails from one folder to another.

Is there a setting somewhere in Kerio, where one can tune/alter this?

kind regards
Lars
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

The timeout is in Apple Mail client so server cannot help there.
  •  
barup

I was suspecting it was Apple Mail, but I'm wondering why moving 1000 emails from one folder to another would tax the filesystem on the mailserver, so Mail end up with timeouts.

The server is running on a MacPro with 10.6 (system and mailstore are separated on dedicated drive) and KC 7.1.3.

kind rgards
Lars
  •  
srobson

I too have problems moving more than 1,000 messages at a time on our Kerio Connect server with Apple Mail. Then again, our mail server hardware is much more modestly spec'ed out (PowerMac G4 Dual 1.4GHz with two SATA drives set up in mirrored RAID configuration). If I'm moving mail to or from a person's local "On My Mac" mailboxes to or from their folders on the mail server, I have to break it up into blocks of 500-600 messages at a time and wait for each move operation to fully complete in Apple Mail before moving the next chunk. I think it's just inefficiency on Apple Mail's part.

If moving messages between two folders that both reside on the mail server, use the webmail interface to do that, if possible. That would at least save the time and network bandwidth of Apple Mail reading the messages from the server and writing them back in the destination folder.
  •  
JulianLisher

It even worse on a PC even when deleting lots of emails. On PC I have to move up to 50 emails at a time (very time consuming) and a Mac Mail it's much better but still have to keep the number down.
  •  
barup

Okay - so I'm not the only having these kinds of problems. I'll do some testing with an alternative IMAP server, just to rule out Kerio.
Stay tuned.

kind regards
Lars
  •  
barup

If I have 500 emails in one folder, how do I select all of them, and move them to another folder, from the webinterface - is that possible?

kind regards
Lars
  •  
JulianLisher

Hi Lars
In webmail settings you can display you can set it so that 200 messages are displayed. These can be selected by selecting the top one, then scrolling down to the bottom one and hold the shift key down first and then selecting the bottom. Click then on the selected list and drag it to the required folder.
Hope this helps.
Julian
PS: If you have access to the store directory there is a hack that can be done for massive amounts of data. I did this method for lots of message and big size 4.5gigs worth but this is not recommended by Kerio and you need access to the store.
  •  
dy-e

This might help your Mac users a little bit...

On Mac Mac, turn on the Activity Viewer, to see what is happening at the time... Users understand the process more when they can see a 'completion scale' gradually moving...

Mail app -> Window menu -> Activity.

Cheers,
D.
  •  
miless

I know this thread's over a year old, but I'm still seeing this behavior using the most recent version of Mail included in OS X 10.6 and Kerio Connect 7.4.1.

JulianLisher wrote on Mon, 04 April 2011 10:23
PS: If you have access to the store directory there is a hack that can be done for massive amounts of data. I did this method for lots of message and big size 4.5gigs worth but this is not recommended by Kerio and you need access to the store.

What might that hack be? I'd love to try it out.
  •  
chrisrosa

I'm researching this issue too, and found this other thread. Sounds like you may need to look into faster storage for the mailstore.

http://forums.kerio.com/t/22311/
  •  
dy-e

Hi folks.

If you are still having this problem, perhaps you could post a little about your setup, including:

-basic server config
-number of users / platforms
-does it affect all users, or specific platforms etc.?
-does it affect internal / external users
-whether you've had a look at specific ports in your mail client (e.g. Mac Mail cycles through a range of ports, or you can lock it down to a specific port)
-any other important info (e.g. does it happen at a particular time more than another)

Cheers,
D.
  •  
barup

Just a late followup after some extensive testing.
It seems like this IMAP timeout only occur when one moves messages between folders in the same account.

I've been doing a lot of moving messages between two separate account on the same Kerio server, and until now moving 1000's of messages has not caused a problem.
So it seem to be related to how Apple Mail interacts with Kerio, when messages are moved/copied between account vs. same account.

What puzzles me is, that if I setup af google account in Apple Mail, and move or copy 1000's of messages between folders in the same account, I never get a timeout.
  •  
dy-e

Hi there.

Perhaps one action is classified as a "move" while the other action is classified as a "copy".

Thus one is super-smooth, and the other is more trouble-some...

Cheers,
D.
barup

No matter if I do a move or a copy within a gmail account, I'll never see a timeout - doing the same with a Kerio account, I'll get timeouts.

Many moons ago I did a test with the 10.5 server and the builtin mailserver, and that imap server behaved excatly like the gmail account.

Previous Topic: Moved events are copied in KC 8.x
Next Topic: KOFF, Outlook 2013 and Sender Address
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Aug 23 23:27:41 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00579 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.