Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Host not found/DNS Lookup Failed (Kerio Connect not resolving DNS)
  •  
natediggs

Send a private message to this user
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some support here. My Kerio Connect server, which has always worked great, has suddenly stopped being able to send out email to certain hosts. I've tried to send 3 email messages and gotten back a host of errors from domains that I know are functional domains. Hell, one of them is on the local server!

The errors are:
Host not found (this is a local email account)

DNS lookup failed (two emails I sent that are replies to emails originally sent to me)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Nate
  •  
j.a.duke

natediggs wrote on Fri, 01 April 2011 08:18
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some support here. My Kerio Connect server, which has always worked great, has suddenly stopped being able to send out email to certain hosts. I've tried to send 3 email messages and gotten back a host of errors from domains that I know are functional domains. Hell, one of them is on the local server!

The errors are:
Host not found (this is a local email account)

DNS lookup failed (two emails I sent that are replies to emails originally sent to me)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Nate

Nate,

First question: Have you rebooted the server? When things are funky, a reboot usually cures all ills.

Second: Have you done nslookups for those domains from the server?

You need to do it for each DNS server you have configured. I was having similar trouble with a DNSBL a while back and freakinvibe was kind enough to give me the syntax for the tests I needed to perform.

You would need to do something like this:

nslookup -type=A host.domain.com 192.168.1.11

That would return the A record for the host from your DNS server at 192.168.1.11. Replace the 192.168.1.11 in turn with each of your DNS servers to see which one is returning bad data. I would expect that you could substitute "MX" for "A" to verify what's being returned for MX for each domain.

Can you give us a little more detail about your setup? OS, Configured DNS, etc.

I suspect that #1 will clear up the problem, but if it doesn't, determining what hosts to which your server is really trying to connect will answer more questions.

You can also use DNSstuff.com to run a series of tests on the domains in question. That might resolve any lingering issues.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
natediggs

Well, the emails finally left the queue. Now if I try to run the NSLOOKUP it works fine:

nslookup -type=MX csadlawyers.com XX.XX.XX.4
Server: XX.XX.XX.4
Address: XX.XX.XX.4#53

Non-authoritative answer:
csadlawyers.com mail exchanger = 10 csadlawyers.com.s10a1.psmtp.com.
csadlawyers.com mail exchanger = 10 csadlawyers.com.s10a2.psmtp.com.
csadlawyers.com mail exchanger = 10 csadlawyers.com.s10b1.psmtp.com.
csadlawyers.com mail exchanger = 10 csadlawyers.com.s10b2.psmtp.com.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
csadlawyers.com nameserver = dns05.gpn.register.com.
csadlawyers.com nameserver = dns03.gpn.register.com.
csadlawyers.com nameserver = dns01.gpn.register.com.
csadlawyers.com nameserver = dns02.gpn.register.com.
csadlawyers.com nameserver = dns04.gpn.register.com.
csadlawyers.com.s10b1.psmtp.com internet address = 74.125.244.13

Not really that interested in rebooting a production server over two emails, but if the problem gets bigger than I'll think about rebooting it.
Previous Topic: iCal wan't show shared calendars, 'nd more
Next Topic: Howto for pushemail with android
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 07:48:42 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00401 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.